Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1505082  by Publius Plunkett

Thank you for a photos nyandw. Is there anything left of this Branch? Does the LIRR still own the ROW?

I remember running down the Bushwick Branch and the guys talking about operating on it. That is definitely old Brooklyn!
 #1505087  by nyandw

Publius Plunkett wrote:Thank you for a photos nyandw. Is there anything left of this Branch? Does the LIRR still own the ROW?
I remember running down the Bushwick Branch and the guys talking about operating on it. That is definitely old Brooklyn!
From Wiki (my edit):
Upon the dissolution of the Manhattan Beach Branch in 1924, the line became a freight spur between the Bushwick and Bay Ridge Branches in Brooklyn. Freight traffic started to significantly decline in 1938, and on February 9, 1939, eight blocks of track, or 1,834 feet (559 m), were removed between Starr and Himrod Streets Further dismantling took place between 1957 and 1962 and throughout much of the late 20th century...The Evergreen Branch still served a few customers until the 1970s...By 1972, the line was cut back to Grove Street.

By the late 1970s, the Cooper Junction end of the line only had one remaining customer: Tulnoy Lumber, located at Putnam Avenue. After this location was closed, Conrail filed to abandon the line on September 15, 1983...The line was out of service in January 1985.

Full version here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_Branch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm working on finding more material, but suffice to say, it's all abandoned and paved/built over. For example:
Forgotten New York - Kevin Walsh's wonderful site: EVERGREEN BRANCH: another lost LIRR line
https://forgotten-ny.com/2000/10/evergr ... lirr-line/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Art Huneke's super collection. Enough material to help model the line, I feel!
https://www.arrts-arrchives.com/evgrn1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Built as part of the main line of the three foot gauge New York and Manhattan Beach Railway the Evergreen Branch consisted of two leased portions: Greenpoint to Flushing Avenue, 2.70 miles leased from the Glendale & East River, and Flushing Avenue to Cooper Avenue Junction, leased from the Brooklyn & Rockaway Beach. In 1883 the standard gauge connection from Cooper Avenue Junction to the Montauk Division at Fresh Pond was built and the lines to Manhattan Beach from Cooper Ave. Jct. And Bay Ridge were made standard gauge. The "Evergreen Branch" remained narrow gauge until 1884. During 1883, 1884 and 1885 a shuttle ran connecting at Cooper Ave. Jct. with every long island city train. In 1886 Greenpoint service was abandoned and a Bushwick shuttle was instituted which ran through the 1894 season. In 1896 - 1897 the right of way between Greenpoint and South Side crossing (Bushwick Branch crossing) was abandoned. On February 9, 1939 eight blocks length of the branch was removed from service. These crossings were closed: Himrod street; Stanhope street; Stokholm street; Dekalb avenue; Hart street; Suydam street; Willoughby avenue and Starr street. In 1965 when New York State purchased the LIRR the Bay Ridge and Evergreen Branches remained part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Subsequently they became part of Penn Central then Conrail. In 1984 the LIRR, again, took over the Bay Ridge Branch, but decided to abandon the Evergreen Branch and its sole consignee."
 #1505175  by Dump The Air

i do not recall if the line had reverted back to conrail ownership near the end. if you look at old photos of the oak point trains, there usually is a SW1500 tucked in the consist to switch the evergreen.

in the area around johnson ave near the bushwick branch connection it is fairly obvious where the ROW was/is. theres a building at 538 johnson thats been an artists/punk loft for 15+ years that was very obviously a customer at one point (i believe there's a business on the first floor still, something to do with light manufacturing?) even with the pushback against the redevelopment of bushwick loft buildings that area is finally bound to change. just around the corner near the blocks surrounding the jefferson L stop are completely different from a little under a decade ago. closer to the bay ridge there was signs of the tracks being in place, but i haven't been down that way in over a decade so who even knows whats left.
 #1505293  by NIMBYkiller

Last I was down there a year ago there was still at least 1 street with rail crossing it, and there's a few lots on the ROW that are still not developed.
 #1505308  by Publius Plunkett

theres a building at 538 johnson thats been an artists/punk loft for 15+ years that was very obviously a customer at one point (i believe there's a business on the first floor still, something to do with light manufacturing?
I think if I'm correct, that 538 Johnson was a doll manufacturer. Wasn't the ROW next to that building purchased and turned into parking and truck storage? Unless I'm thinking of a different place.
 #1505310  by nyandw

Publius Plunkett wrote:
theres a building at 538 johnson thats been an artists/punk loft for 15+ years that was very obviously a customer at one point (i believe there's a business on the first floor still, something to do with light manufacturing?
I think if I'm correct, that 538 Johnson was a doll manufacturer. Wasn't the ROW next to that building purchased and turned into parking and truck storage? Unless I'm thinking of a different place.
Yes... Englander Spring Bed Co., 1924+, became Goldberger Doll Co.on Johnson Ave east of Varick Ave.
 #1505328  by Publius Plunkett

Thank you for the info, nyandw. Englander Spring Bed Co. is still in business but manufactures outside of New York. It's funny that a company like that would have to stress in their company name, that it manufactures a "spring bed". I prior to the advent of "spring beds", mattresses were filled with straw, newspapers and horse hair. You might as well have slept on plywood.

The branch may have been owned by Conrail, but I think the LIRR serviced the customers. Looking at that map you posted, is a reminder of how industrial this country once was. Especially in New York. Just the amount of foundries and heavy industry that were in and around NY is amazing. And now it's all gone. Either to Mexico or Asia. I think it's wonderful that you can fish for Striped Bass in the Gowanus Canal, but, Latte shops and loft apartments don't win wars or employ people the way a factory does.
 #1505634  by Publius Plunkett

nyandw, great stuff! Next, we need to look into the old Manhattan Beach Branch..then and now.

Looking at the old maps and photos you posted of the numerous factories and industries, I guess it's easy to imagine the armies of workers living in the area and walking to and from work every day. With all that industry and steam locomotives, it must have been a pretty gritty area to live in.
 #1505702  by nyandw

Publius Plunkett wrote:nyandw, great stuff! Next, we need to look into the old Manhattan Beach Branch..then and now. Looking at the old maps and photos you posted of the numerous factories and industries, I guess it's easy to imagine the armies of workers living in the area and walking to and from work every day. With all that industry and steam locomotives, it must have been a pretty gritty area to live in.
I'd concur as the streets from Flushing Ave south to Grove St. were almost entirely apartments/business locales. I didn't add them to the web page as no relevant LIRR material is indicated. (see Flushing Ave (just south of Varick Yard) south to Suydam St., for example.

These were the first section(s) to be removed: "... on February 9, 1939, eight blocks of track, or 1,834 feet (559 m), were removed between Starr and Himrod Streets Further dismantling took place between 1957 and 1962 and throughout much of the late 20th century..." as outlined on Emery's map. Of course photos, at street level, along the ROW would be of great interest! Anyone?

As far as the "...old Manhattan Beach Branch..then and now..." I*'ll leave this project to others. I need to compile the various freight customers on the Evergreen more completely AND work on the Bushwick Freight Branch, anyone? Thanks Steve
 #1505715  by Publius Plunkett

nyandw, just confirming that the colored map is from 1929? I would guess that the Branch was at its peak with customers, and then cut back in the late '30's. To remove 8 blocks of trackage for a small branch like that was quite a bit. I bet the Depression had a severe impact on the Branch's customer base.

The bottom map was pretty interesting. Describing the incremental abandonment of the ROW. I guess the land reverted to private use? Or is any of the old ROW still owned by the LIRR? I know its been OOS since 1939 but so is most of the old Central Branch and yet the land is still owned by the LIRR.
 #1505765  by newkirk

Next, we need to look into the old Manhattan Beach Branch..then and now.
LIRR Manhattan Beach Branch and BRT Neck Rd. station. ca. 1910
 #1505770  by nyandw

Publius Plunkett wrote:nyandw, just confirming that the colored map is from 1929? I would guess that the Branch was at its peak with customers, and then cut back in the late '30's. To remove 8 blocks of trackage for a small branch like that was quite a bit. I bet the Depression had a severe impact on the Branch's customer base. The bottom map was pretty interesting. Describing the incremental abandonment of the ROW. I guess the land reverted to private use? Or is any of the old ROW still owned by the LIRR? I know its been OOS since 1939 but so is most of the old Central Branch and yet the land is still owned by the LIRR.
Yes all the colored maps Belcher Hyde Co. Maps 1929

On February 9, 1939 eight blocks length of the branch was removed from service. These crossings were closed: Himrod street; Stanhope street; Stokholm street; Dekalb avenue; Hart street; Suydam street; Willoughby avenue and Starr street. In 1965 when New York State purchased the LIRR the Bay Ridge and Evergreen Branches remained part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Subsequently they became part of Penn Central then Conrail. In 1984 the LIRR, again, took over the Bay Ridge Branch, but decided to abandon the Evergreen Branch and its sole consignee. Research: Art Huneke
 #1505781  by nyandw

newkirk wrote:
Next, we need to look into the old Manhattan Beach Branch..then and now.
LIRR Manhattan Beach Branch and BRT Neck Rd. station. ca. 1910
I started a thread for you Folks on this.