Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1496993  by Bad Luck

The Hewlett station building still exists; it is on the railroad-west side (geographically NE) of Franklin Ave.
 #1497041  by MattAmity90

Well, the old Hewlett station was like Syosset since it was on the curve, and the current platforms are now located to the South of the former on a straighter section of the branch. They started putting in the high-level platforms in late-1967 because I saw a picture of Bellmore after the depot was burned down in January 1968, and it had the high-levels already installed. A picture around mid-1967 of Bellmore still showed low-level platforms.

As a side note: I had no idea that mushroom lights were platform lighting on the low-levels. I thought the mushroom lights were a part of what I call "The Rockefeller LIRR transition." Meaning they didn't become a trend until high-level platforms were installed from 1967-1973.
 #1497044  by workextra

The old South Side depot is still there’s it’s in need of a restoration and with cooperation between LIRR/Community and maybe Nassau’s OBRM could work to get it done.
We can not afford to loose this building
 #1497064  by BobLI

I think the mushroom lights by the building were installed because the building still housed the ticket office and waiting room. You had to walk across the street to the high platform and the old low level platform was not illuminated when it closed down.
You may want to contact Hempstead town hall as they have an historical section which may help to try to preserve the building.
 #1497152  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

I enlarged and looked at this picture and now think that the date should be in the early to middle
1970s (1976 would make sense) taking note to the two mushroom-head light stands pointed out
along with the vehicles parked alongside the left side which appear to date from later than 1966.
Their license plates are unfortunately not visible and do not help here.

As mentioned Hewlett Station was located at the west end of low-level Platform A. The building
continued in use as the ticket office after relocation for high-level platform construction across
the street with the low level platform fenced off and used as a walkway.

The three phone booths are of an older type (1960s or before) with their folding doors intact.
The light-up signs that include the Pepsi Cola logo were a somewhat common type from the
1970s that some convenience-type stores used back in that era (was that a "Chicken Delight"
by any chance?) with a sponsoring soft drink advertisement or logo.

More photographs of Hewlett Station from the same photographer at different angles may have
added to further correctly dating this picture especially if there was a LIRR train included in one.

In any case it is good to know this old building is at least still intact and gets preserved in some
manner taking note that it is one of the oldest known station structures on the LIRR...MACTRAXX
 #1497180  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve: "...I enlarged and looked at this picture and now think that the date should be in the early to middle
1970s (1976 would make sense)...MACTRAXX
Hewlett-Station_viewNW_2019.jpg
Thank you. I will re-date it 1976. And a thanks to all that answered to help with this. The material is on this page, Far Rockaway Branch: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/farroc ... branch.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To update my files: Has anyone seen the building in 2019?
 #1497220  by LB

Looks like a 69/70 Cadillac DeVille and a 1970ish Pontiac Gran Prix in the photo.
 #1497329  by MattAmity90

Of course the area of the former Hewlett station, which was on the curve has changed. To increase safety and to prevent any other incidents like ten years ago (a taxi drove on the tracks and caught fire due to the third rail arcing), fences have been erected to separate the tracks from the parking lots. One thing for sure from that photo that I'm going to miss, and I know they have to go because they are not environmentally friendly, are those symbolic mushroom lights that adorned the platforms of electrified territory for over 50 years. Photo is at Lynbrook courtesy of Jeremiah Cox (aka SubwayNut).
lynbrook6.jpg
 #1497332  by nyandw

[quote="MattAmity90"]"...I know they have to go because they are not environmentally friendly, are those symbolic mushroom lights that adorned the platforms of electrified territory for over 50 years..." Matt, please inform on the environment issue? Is it a LIRR, resident, political, etc. driven impact? Thanks.
 #1497334  by nyandw

Please, someone photograph all sides and measure this building prior to its (possible future) demise. It would be another treasure gone with the usual laments about should have, etc. DEPOT BUILT: 1870. Comments? Thanks.