Railroad Forums 

• LIRR getting a laser leaf removal equipment this fall

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1487358  by LINYARailfan

According to the NY daily news, the LIRR will be purchasing two leaf removal equipment that will melt leaves off the rails. I have provided the link below
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailyn ... outputType" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My question is what part of the RR will this new piece of equipment operate on and what department will be operating it? Will this be the new leaf crusher that used to operate on the mainline between KO and Greenport? Or will this be replacing the sandite train as well? Lastly will this new equipment be operating independently or will it be operating with a 1500?
 #1487395  by mkm4

Updated link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Laser Tribology BV, an Amsterdam-based company, got the $370,000 contract to design and build a leaf-zapping train for a test in coming months, according to MTA docs.
It doesn't exist yet. It's not replacing anything yet.

Their website is really light on details. http://www.laserprecisionsolutions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491156  by Kelly&Kelly

Don't hold your breath for this one. No laser leaf remover coming anytime soon. Put this on the list with self-driving taxis and flying Crown Victorias.

Let us elaborate... I have no doubt the railroad will pay money designing them, reserving them, building them...maybe buying them, but if they ever show up on the property they won't work.
 #1491930  by adamj023

Kelly&Kelly wrote:Don't hold your breath for this one. No laser leaf remover coming anytime soon. Put this on the list with self-driving taxis and flying Crown Victorias.

Let us elaborate... I have no doubt the railroad will pay money designing them, reserving them, building them...maybe buying them, but if they ever show up on the property they won't work.
It can damage track infrastructure and be quite costly if not done right. It needs to be tested on an isolated section of track. In theory it sounds promising but needs to be tested before it is widely used over an extended period of time.

First test on non revenue track, and if it passes over an extended petiod of time, then test gradually on revenue track. If MTA immeduately added it and it wasn’t tested correctly over time, it could damage extensive infrastructure that is now in good shape and cost a huge sum to rebuild damaged infrastructure that already was in good shape.
 #1491980  by puckhead

my understanding is that it does exist, from talking to a car shop electrician . he said he has been working on it, and i think last week it went out on a test run, dont know where. i didnt ask what equipment it was on, i assumed an m7.
 #1492486  by puckhead

my understanding, from someone who worked on the project, is this. the project is a test, the first in the US, and may railroads are watching closely. the laser equipment installed in the cars is going back to the company in holland when the test is over. if the US, and other railroads decide to use it, then it will be bought and used. all the shipping crates for the laser equipment have been saved to use to send the units back when the test is over. i guessing there was some kind of federal grant to cover this, but thats just a guess. my friend said it has done a good job on the rails during testing.