Railroad Forums 

• HO Scale LIRR Arch roof MP54?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1482488  by scopelliti

Question.. did any other railroads use something similar to an arch roof MP54? Would love to talk someone (Con-Cor,Rapido?) into producing a model but if the LIRR ones were the only ones, then it's probably hopeless. I have a couple of MP54 brass models and Funaro & Camerlengo make a ping-pong trailer version, but that's all I know of.

Con-Cor makes the clerestory version but don't seem interested in making the arch roof variant. Only other option is 3D printing...
 #1482726  by alcoAL

I don’t think I’ve ever seen reference to another railroad using those or any photos. I’d like to see them made too. One thing that I’ve noticed with manufacturers is that they say there were only a small amount of the prototype in service, whether it’s a locomotive or some car, and too costly for tooling and a limited audience. Yet you see some oddball things made or very modern locomotives. How many modelers actually model current locomotives? I’d say that the Ping-pongs and P72s would sell well, even G5s engines.
 #1482768  by RGlueck

Remember when you could buy Rivarossi FM units for $2.99 in the bargain bin? I realize tooling and dies have become very technical and detailing is what people like, but I can't even consider paying $99 for a coach kit or $299 for an Alco C420! More P54's in LIRR configuration would be great, as would a solid, heavy, G5s, but not at $599 a pop. Whew!

Okay, I'm deep into "old-fart" status, especially as a Long Island Rail Road guy. Sticker shock could easily become "ticker shock" to me!