Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1480775  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Good before and after pictures of E10/SW1001 #105...That red/white/blue "Bicentennial" or
"Circus" color scheme was a gaudy one - if you placed this picture among a group of locomotives
photographs painted with these colors from the mid 1970s era this would fit right in...

The blue and yellow scheme to me is reminiscent of CSX colors - and there is only so much that
one can do with the "housepaint" that is used...I do think that most of the E10/E15 units need
to be sandblasted and professionally repainted with a bright distinct color scheme. A new "wave"
with bright colors would be a welcome change as compared with the disheveled look that most
of the MP15s now have...or just LIRR orange and gray with the added blue side stripe that some
distinct units once had - arguably one of the best variations of 1960s locomotive color schemes...
MACTRAXX
 #1480805  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:"...or just LIRR orange and gray with the added blue side stripe that some
distinct units once had - arguably one of the best variations of 1960s locomotive color schemes...
MACTRAXX
Here's what we had: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrSW ... SW1001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1480808  by ConstanceR46

...what happened to 107? If it wasn't sent to NYA and wasn't a protect, and got repainted into Home Depot Blue/Silver, but it wasn't there for the M7 wreck cleanup in Atlantic.
 #1480811  by MACTRAXX

Steve: Good SW1001 page showing the variations of their color schemes...Some further thoughts:

I would have liked to have seen orange instead of white used as a variation of the original color
scheme that the E10s had...The blue and white looked fine here...

The orange and gray protect units always looked good - and even carried the "Dashing Dan" logo.
Nothing at all wrong with a LIRR "Heritage" color scheme...

All that would be needed to create a LIRR "Bicentennial" color scheme on #105 would be to leave
the MTA "pac-man" logo out in favor of one or both of the bicentennial heralds that the LIRR used:
1: The MTA "M/M Bicentennial" dual M logo; 2: The LIRR 1834 logo with the caption "Bicentennial
Celebration" that some diesel units carried - to look like something from the mid 70s era...
Search: "US 1976 Bicentennial Railroad Color Schemes" for some distinct ideas...MACTRAXX
 #1480837  by Teutobergerwald

Was anyone disciplined for the painting of 105 in that livery, or was that an F-U to management by someone about to retire ????
 #1480881  by freightguy

I think they got in trouble for painting both jaws and the 102&104, wouldn't be the first time at that shop!
 #1481480  by Liquidcamphor

Jaws wasn't a problem but the paint scheme on 102/104 was. The mechanical dept. head, MS, authorized the color scheme but didn't seek permission first, to deviate from the mta accepted color and design schemes. An official from the mta saw the engines in Jamaica and inquired about them. The Long Island allowed them to remain in that paint scheme because they weren't primary power for their trains, and simply used for work trains and shop work. You wouldn't see that color scheme and style on DE's or DM's unless it was first approved, such as a heritage color scheme or something like that.
 #1481540  by freightguy

Jaws wasn't a problem but the paint scheme on 102/104 was. The mechanical dept. head, MS, authorized the color scheme but didn't seek permission first, to deviate from the mta accepted color and design schemes. An official from the mta saw the engines in Jamaica and inquired about them. The Long Island allowed them to remain in that paint scheme because they weren't primary power for their trains, and simply used for work trains and shop work. You wouldn't see that color scheme and style on DE's or DM's unless it was first approved, such as a heritage color scheme or something like that.

Ah okay, someone who worked at Morris Park from 1950’s to mid 1980’s had mentioned they caught flack about Jaws being painted in that scheme. I think at met MS at a railfan function years back if it’s the same guy. I never worked for LIRR, but seemed like Morris Park had a lot of talent many years ago to do stuff like that.