Railroad Forums 

• Photographing the M3 Sets before they are Retired

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1477122  by njtmnrrbuff

Sometime next week, weather permitting, I plan to photograph and maybe even try to ride an M3 set before they retire. Preferably, I would like to ride the Main Line but as far east as Mineola. Which trains do the M3s typically operate on during the rush hour?
 #1477129  by adamj023

They will be around for awhile still. You don’t have to rush to be on an M3.

M3s are used on more dense non double decker diesel routes since they hold more seating. Some lines like Oyster Bay use the double decker trains which are used at Mineola for instance.

Can’t answer as to how to make sure you are on an M3 trainset. I have been on M3, M7 and C3 trains. I presume I may have been on an M1 but I didn’t recall or check if it was an M1 or M3 at that time.
 #1477159  by MACTRAXX

Buff: Watch a LIRR AM or PM Peak weekday period at Forest Hills or Kew Gardens Station.
Either station would be good and have ample outside access and amenities nearby.

If you plan to ride Jamaica would be the place to keep watch for M3 MU trains in service.
As you likely know the difference between M3 and M7 MU cars spotting them should be easy.
Be prepared to ride to Mineola - another good place to watch LIRR trains - and buy your ticket(s)
before boarding to avoid any on-board penalty charges.

M3 cars are assigned to LIRR MU trains at random - it is the "luck of the draw" on that given day.

I will second the thought about not needing to rush to ride and watch LIRR M3 cars at this time.
The new M9 cars are just beginning delivery - there would need to be enough M9 cars to replace
about 150 M3 cars. With MNCR choosing to rehabilitate their M3 fleet there will be a presence
of M3 cars in the New York Region for the foreseeable future.

See this related topic about M3 retirement:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=166821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1477166  by njtmnrrbuff

I saw the news item about MNR's M3s.

As for my upcoming trip on the LIRR Main Line, I hope to do it this coming Friday. First, I plan to stop at Forest Hills for a little bit to photograph a few MUs and the Cannonball. From Forest Hills, I am considering either taking the subway to Jamaica LIRR Station and then getting the LIRR to as far as Mineola. I might stop in New Hyde Park on the way, depending on the time. It's also possible that I might save Forest Hills for another time and just go directly to New Hyde Park. I want to also get pictures from the grade crossings before they are eliminated as part of the 3rd track project.
 #1477183  by Head-end View

If you're going to Mineola, you should go a few more stops to Hicksville, LIRR's biggest/busiest station outside of the City. It's got two island platforms on an elevated structure with position-light signals at both ends. It's a really cool place for train watching around 6pm on a weekday. And if you have a scanner, you can listen to Divide Tower just east of the station on frequency 161.265. :-D
 #1477188  by nyandw

Head-end View wrote:If you're going to Mineola, you should go a few more stops to Hicksville, LIRR's biggest/busiest station outside of the City. It's got two island platforms on an elevated structure with position-light signals at both ends. It's a really cool place for train watching around 6pm on a weekday. And if you have a scanner, you can listen to Divide Tower just east of the station on frequency 161.265. :-D
Hicksville: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/hicksv ... sville.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1477341  by MACTRAXX

RG: M1 cars 9547-9548 are in Riverhead at RMLI.
M1 cars 9745-9746 were saved for possible display at the MTA Transit Museum.
Not sure what their current status or whereabouts are...

There are differences between M1 and M3 cars such as weight and air intakes but both were
designed and built by Budd - the M3s are about 15 years or so newer then M1s...MACTRAXX