Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1476325  by interface76

IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2030 times
I moved to the Parkside section of Forest Hills in June of 2012. I was well aware of the history of this line, and on June 8th, to pay my respects to 50 years of inactivity on the line, walked over to the Metropolitan Ave. overpass. I snapped the above photo in the sunset (apologies as this site turns the photo sideways for some reason and I can't fix it, though clicking the large view rights it).

It's the same exact utility tower you see in the first photo, beside the platform stairwell.

I actually had this photo for a while as the "wallpaper" of my iPhone!

The Petco went in around mid to late 2013 if I remember, and when the parking lot was graded out, the above tower was removed.

Metropolitan Ave in Forest Hills and Kew Gardens was stripped and resurfaced between 2014-15, and the streetcar rails and a thin brick median were revealed temporarily during that time. (wish I'd had the camera)
 #1476372  by interface76

nyandw, tell me about it!!

Other notes about that tower - you'll notice from the bottom of the shot that it was behind a barb wire fence that was placed right up against the sidewalk. The site had what looked like an old car service station behind the fence, with a run down building and a few rusted out cars. The whole site was condemned by the time I moved in. I remember one day the whole property was gone, like poof! It was a lot behind green wooden planking for a few months, and as mentioned, I think the Petco came in 2013.

I also find it interesting that this 2012 shot shows the tower with a lot less wire stanchions - I wonder if they were modified while active of if the elements took them down over time...