Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1473750  by upton

How many DE-S does the LIRR need to pull 2 (two) almost empty passenger cars? This is the Greenport Scoot with a total of 6400 HP.
LIRR should replace this with a few modern RDC-s. Also today, the CSX Safety train stopped at Yaphank as well.
Attachments:
yaphank 004.JPG
yaphank 004.JPG (815.99 KiB) Viewed 3734 times
yaphank 002.JPG
yaphank 002.JPG (490.69 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
 #1473751  by ConstanceR46

1. That happens due to cab-car shortages; often there's not enough to spare.

2. The LIRR is basically gritting their teeth and going with it until the future Sc-44? and bilevel joint order with MN happens, afaik that's late-2020s
 #1473774  by Backshophoss

That Safety train is used to train First Responders on how to handle any type of problem with Haz-Mat loads in boxcars and tank cars.
Boxcar is used as a Classroom,the tank cars are examples of what is "in service" for chemicals,Pressurized Gasses,and Oil and gasoline products.
Might have some more info on the CSX website.
 #1473784  by ConstanceR46

Backshophoss wrote:That Safety train is used to train First Responders on how to handle any type of problem with Haz-Mat loads in boxcars and tank cars.
Boxcar is used as a Classroom,the tank cars are examples of what is "in service" for chemicals,Pressurized Gasses,and Oil and gasoline products.
Might have some more info on the CSX website.
Wonder if this has to do with the donated M3s.
 #1473886  by Backshophoss

The M3's are to used on various training simulations,of a mass injury accident,Derailment,Fire/Smoke,etc as encountered by First responders,
EMT's Paramedics,Fire Dept personel.
 #1473887  by ConstanceR46

Backshophoss wrote:The M3's are to used on various training simulations,of a mass injury accident,Derailment,Fire/Smoke,etc as encountered by First responders,
EMT's Paramedics,Fire Dept personel.
I understand; i was just wondering if the Safety Train's visit was connected to the training on the M3s
 #1473889  by Backshophoss

That CSX safety train has it's own crew of instructors,this was prearranged visit to train or refesher course earlier training done year(s) ago by CSX/NY&A.
 #1474788  by DaveBarraza

upton wrote:How many DE-S does the LIRR need to pull 2 (two) almost empty passenger cars? This is the Greenport Scoot with a total of 6400 HP.
LIRR should replace this with a few modern RDC-s. Also today, the CSX Safety train stopped at Yaphank as well.
Some of those runs on the scoot actually fill most of the way up, especially in the summer. You have to sit (*gasp*) two people in a double seat! 8-D

Last summer they had the 6,400hp scoot with only one car - it was because the cab car had been involved in a grade crossing accident. I imagine they can just have one unit set up as a coasting control cab, like the old FA's - can the DE30's do that?
 #1474828  by upton

Somehow this Scoot did the job in 1969 when I took this photo many,many years ago at Ronkonkoma.
Attachments:
wmlirr 002.JPG
wmlirr 002.JPG (134.24 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
 #1474846  by MACTRAXX

Upton:

This picture of the Greenport Scoot on the wye at Ronkonkoma dates from at least five years later
then 1969 - The Precision leased units were used in service during 1974-75-76 in the time period
after the Alco L1/C420 lease period ended (200-221) and the delivery of the GP38s beginning in
1976-77. There were three Precision units that were equipped with LIRR ASC (1701,1702,1706)
with the pictured #1702 the first diesel in LIRR service equipped for short hood forward service.
The coach is one of the former intercity coaches that the LIRR purchased second hand back in
the late 1960s/early 1970s - the spotting features are the window line and the single vestibule.

MACTRAXX
 #1475065  by upton

Thank you for the correction. I screwed up on my old negatives and their dates. However, I am still glad that I took many photos at the time when the LIRR was still great with having many different types of locomotives. I am glad that I also took photos of WM 303 in WV Ridgley Yard many years ago not knowing that it would be some LIRR 607.
 #1475067  by nyandw

upton wrote:Thank you for the correction. I screwed up on my old negatives and their dates. However, I am still glad that I took many photos at the time when the LIRR was still great with having many different types of locomotives. I am glad that I also took photos of WM 303 in WV Ridgley Yard many years ago not knowing that it would be some LIRR 607.
Here's WM #304 Hagerstown, MD 5/10/70 prior to transfer to LIRR #608 as of 6/19/1972 Photo: Marty Bernard
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrFA ... ernard.jpg

WM #303 was transferred to LIRR as of 5/2/72. Can you post WM #303? :-)