Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1470529  by KT3

On the train into the city this morning, I saw one of the many pamphlets on the seats that the LIRR loves to throw around each month. But this one was refreshingly different, and on the front of it, was a letter from the new LIRR President, which was surprising. In all my years riding the LIRR, I don't remember having seen past LIRR Presidents take a similar direct-to-customer approach to their communications. Even more surprising was the message, which was devoid of railroad shop talk and instead focused on the concerns of the customer, and how the LIRR is proactively addressing those concerns in real time, rather than hiding behind committees or steering groups.

Based on early appearances, it seems the new LIRR President recognizes what so many others have not: the LIRR runs on its customers. Without them, there is no railroad. Sure it could exist in some kind of quasi, state-run system, but the customers are the lifeblood of the LIRR and for far too long, their concerns have been either ignored or downplayed. This LIRR President is taking a refreshing approach in communicating with customers like real people, dropping the shop talk and taking proactive measures to address customers' concerns in a way that will hopefully pay dividends in both the short- and long-term.

Let's hope he keeps it up.
 #1470607  by Head-end View

This president sounds a lot like Charles Hoppe years ago. Actually communicating with the customers.
 #1470797  by adamj023

Was waiting for a train at LIRR at Jamaica and saw a professional who looked like the New President entering the station building. It did look like him from where I was standing and I did a double take. He was alone and didn’t have a security detail or anything. Not 100% sure it was him.

I took the subway instead of LIRR at first since I was running late and subway has more consistent schedules and Jamaica would have multiple connection options to my destination.

I will say that the subway system itself and subway connection to Jamaica is inferior than using LIRR directly and is also way more crowded with some people who shouldn’t be there, ie homeless or vagrant types, even with the more frequent trains. Train was crawling going into Jamaica as well.

I wish LIRR could add more scheduling for LIRR trains into/out of Jamaica for city terminal zone. I know Atlantic Terminal will get dedicated terminal but it needs to be applied to other trains as well and hopefully between new platform, switches and positive train control/signal improvements, they can better utilize the existing tracks for service. Plus I would hope LIRR keeps the M3 for additional service and order more M9 cars so eventually M9 can match the capacity for the future.
 #1474840  by BM6569

I've been impressed wth what he has done so far. Replacing switches that have been a problem, year before they are due for replacement. Those switches account for 40% of the switch related delays. They just replaced one at Jamaica. Communication has been great so far too