Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1468667  by LINYARailfan

Which track is the 3100 on at arch street? I ride the 7 train to hunterspoint every day and when I was at hunterspoint and arch street yesterday I did not see it.
 #1468675  by ConstanceR46

LINYARailfan wrote:Which track is the 3100 on at arch street? I ride the 7 train to hunterspoint every day and when I was at hunterspoint and arch street yesterday I did not see it.
F*ck me, i meant wheelspur.
 #1468678  by LINYARailfan

ConstanceR46 wrote:
LINYARailfan wrote:Which track is the 3100 on at arch street? I ride the 7 train to hunterspoint every day and when I was at hunterspoint and arch street yesterday I did not see it.
F*ck me, i meant wheelspur.
Then it must be making its way up the Lower Montauk to Fresh Pond via NYA to be sent off the property west to Frontier Metals sometime very soon?
 #1468699  by ConstanceR46

LINYARailfan wrote:Then it must be making its way up the Lower Montauk to Fresh Pond via NYA to be sent off the property west to Frontier Metals sometime very soon?

Very soon. There's flats ready for the bodies and everything.

Again, if you wanna take photos now's the time, and i really like whoever graffitied it with actual history (It's WM paint, it's various identities, and it's date built).
 #1468711  by DogBert

Wheelspur is RR property so be mindful if you try going back there.

3100 should have been gone already. Three weeks ago Frontier was down there loading M3s - they got two loaded but couldn't get the 3100 onto a flat for some reason. Perhaps some trouble with the rental equipment, or the elements (they were loading right after that snow storm). The two M3s they loaded left town last week. Those two didn't come from Arch street, LIRR had those two stashed somewhere else. Not sure what numbers they were.

Greg Grice has a nice photo of 3100 here: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/654359/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The little tombstones on the side have its former numbers, and the hand painted alco logo adds to it. On the far side there's an inscription: 'the many lives of an American locomotive, blt: 1951, rip 2018'. Nice send 'NY' send off...
 #1468857  by Backshophoss

The lot seems to mostly gravel,might have been just "muddy" enough to somewhat unstable for the rental cranes. :wink:
 #1468879  by ConstanceR46

Backshophoss wrote:The lot seems to mostly gravel,might have been just "muddy" enough to somewhat unstable for the rental cranes. :wink:
The lot's also, from my 2 foot-expeditions (one given clearance, once where they didn't care that much) the yard is fairly ramshackle. Pretty full of gravel, and the far track that the cars are loaded on is literally dug into the pavement; it's just exposed roadbed and not level at all. Couple that with mud and i doubt a crane stands a chance, in addition to 3100 (potentially) being heavier than the previously-shipped lightweight EMUs/former EMUs

Edit: Also, the M3 there was #9931/Formerly 9929. Was it involved in any incidents, as it seemed like it was in good shape around 2012.
 #1469000  by DogBert

They've had no problem loading the other dozen or so M3s there, so the ground has nothing to do with it. They were using two small truck mounted cranes, my guess is the FA somehow weighs more or they didn't have a cutting torch to slides some holes to sling cable through... or maybe the roof is too shot to actually be rigged the same way the M3s were.

I'm sure they'll figure out, or cut it into chunks.
 #1469001  by ConstanceR46

DogBert wrote:They've had no problem loading the other dozen or so M3s there, so the ground has nothing to do with it. They were using two small truck mounted cranes, my guess is the FA somehow weighs more or they didn't have a cutting torch to slides some holes to sling cable through... or maybe the roof is too shot to actually be rigged the same way the M3s were.

I'm sure they'll figure out, or cut it into chunks.
I think it's the former; the FA is a big, body on frame piece of steel; the M3s and P-72s are very light in comparison, i'd assume.
 #1469010  by Backshophoss

The truck based cranes were not"heavy" enough to lift the 3100,LIRR had a wreck crane that would have done the job right,but not on
unstable rails on rotten ties sunk in mud. Don't even think the hi-rail wreck crane could lift 3100.
Slice(torch)and dice into a gon is next for 3100. :( :(
 #1469030  by Teutobergerwald

So they broke-dicked the building of a new yard- new trackage on wooden ties with the bare-minimum of ballast and just bluestone with no drainage ?????? Which entity funded this new "Wheelspur Yard?"
 #1469041  by DogBert

Teutobergerwald wrote:So they broke-dicked the building of a new yard- new trackage on wooden ties with the bare-minimum of ballast and just bluestone with no drainage ?????? Which entity funded this new "Wheelspur Yard?"

We all know the answer to that one. If I recall right the ground closer to the loading dock building is concrete, with dirt closer to the loop track. The ballast & ties don't look that bad to me by freight standards (certainly no worse than what CSX has on hell gate). Certainly would have been nicer if they replaced it all with concrete, but I'm assuming they blew the budget knocking down the fire damaged building that was there, and laying out the extra tracks.
 #1469099  by ConstanceR46

DogBert wrote:

We all know the answer to that one. If I recall right the ground closer to the loading dock building is concrete, with dirt closer to the loop track. The ballast & ties don't look that bad to me by freight standards (certainly no worse than what CSX has on hell gate). Certainly would have been nicer if they replaced it all with concrete, but I'm assuming they blew the budget knocking down the fire damaged building that was there, and laying out the extra tracks.
The ballast and ties are new; not really a problem. There's dirt all around the loading building, with patches of concrete occasionally. I'd say the most glaring problem are the 2 open sinkholes by the west end of the River Track.
 #1469109  by Backshophoss

Means there's not so great subsurface drainage,there will be soft spots all over the lot!
 #1472697  by Mahoc70

It was dedicated to Robert “Buff” Stickevers who passed away 1/23/91. The Buff is for Buffalo his nickname.