Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1461675  by newkirk

Is #3100 still hanging around or was it sent out to scrap ?

#1461697  by RGlueck

Terrible waste of an ALCO FA. If the Diesel sled remains inside, it might have practical work train potential. I doubt she has value as a donor of parts to another ALCO restoration. Last I knew, 3100 was stored serviceable.
 #1461719  by newkirk

Rglueck wrote: Last I knew, 3100 was stored serviceable.]
Stored serviceable as in to be used again ?

The current diesel fleet doesn't use power packs. I can't see any use for this kit bashed "FA".
 #1461740  by Cameron Wolk

RGlueck wrote:Terrible waste of an ALCO FA. If the Diesel sled remains inside, it might have practical work train potential. I doubt she has value as a donor of parts to another ALCO restoration. Last I knew, 3100 was stored serviceable.
We (RMLI) were supposed to receive it as a donation but that's before some careless railroad employee decided to torch it. I believe its already been parted and is on its way to the scrapper shortly. Indeed what a waste of a good old FA, a Western Maryland one too.
 #1461792  by BuddR32

Look how nice it looks in that photo. Does anyone who it was dedicated to?

As for its fate, its still a hunk of steel rotting away in Morris Park, when it will meet the torch is unknown, but it will.
 #1461796  by Backshophoss

It was the HEP car for the C-1 fleet,the first to supply 480 VAC 3 phase power instead of 600 VDC power untill
the METRA E8's and the FL9AC's went into service on LIRR.
 #1461889  by SwingMan

The sled has been long removed, it is just a shell on the inside. It is due to be scrapped later this year along with a plethora of other pieces of equipment.

Not every piece of equipment, even with a little bit of railroad history, can be considered worthy of being kept. If anything, less is more.
 #1461893  by 452 Card

It used to be LI 608. Al P's crew of electricians in the back shop worked their magic and produced in-house a unit capable of 480vac and 600vdc using the turn of a switch. I was so proud of them when I was on the dual mode project. It was sheathed in stainless steel to match the C1 cars by the machinists, right down to creating the blue decals to somewhat match the cars. They really never got any recognition other than a pat on the back from M of E. It was planned to be a stationary unit to supply yard power after the end of the prototype dual mode project, but fuel delivery problems from the original (ancient) fuel tank led to engine starvation problems, and eventually it was considered junk that was no longer usable to the LIRR. I can't remember who that door plaque was dedicated to, but I do remember seeing it changing ends at a terminal. Al P. lives near me, so I might ask him who that plaque was for. Stay tuned.
 #1461996  by RGlueck

A) Why was the cab removed?

B) Did anyone think to preserve the cab or the control stand?

C) If B (above) happened, where is it today?
 #1462002  by kro52

452 Card wrote:It used to be LI 608. Al P's crew of electricians in the back shop worked their magic and produced in-house a unit capable of 480vac and 600vdc using the turn of a switch. I was so proud of them when I was on the dual mode project. It was sheathed in stainless steel to match the C1 cars by the machinists, right down to creating the blue decals to somewhat match the cars. They really never got any recognition other than a pat on the back from M of E. It was planned to be a stationary unit to supply yard power after the end of the prototype dual mode project, but fuel delivery problems from the original (ancient) fuel tank led to engine starvation problems, and eventually it was considered junk that was no longer usable to the LIRR. I can't remember who that door plaque was dedicated to, but I do remember seeing it changing ends at a terminal. Al P. lives near me, so I might ask him who that plaque was for. Stay tuned.
Greetings,
The door plaque was a dedication to a pipefitter/welder who sadly passed away around the time this unit was built.
KRO52
 #1462053  by 452 Card

Al P. reports: The cab was removed because it was no longer needed, and the rest of the unit was to be sheathed in stainless, so there would have been a conflict joining the two. At the time, we were delayed by the late delivery of the FL-9s, and the train was scheduled to go into service. So this interim solution was created to provide the HEP, and the RR had no feelings toward preservation; just providing the service needed. It was cut up in sections and scrapped. The 26L brake stand and whatever else that could be reused was put in reserve for the still existing diesel fleet.
The plaque on the door was dedicated to R. "Bob" Stickevers, who had emergency heart surgery just prior to the units' completion, but sadly died during the procedure. He redid all the piping to change the unit from a loco to a car.
 #1462056  by DutchRailnut

It always amazes me that someone will complain why a engine was not preserved, simple reason a lot of the powerpacks were donated.
not many have had anything done to them, lack of volunteers and lack of money, from same people that screamed for their preservation.
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrFA ... s-Cabs.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1462077  by RGlueck

Dutch, c'mon, you know how we in preservation scramble to save any possible link to heritage equipment, particularly where parts are concerned. Imagine in somebody used one of your wooden shoes as firewood?
 #1462100  by DutchRailnut

surprize , I did :-)