Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by FrankAndCindy

Hello, Does anyone know if the old Fairbanks Morse sea liners were ever double headed? Thanks, Frank And Cindy
  by DutchRailnut

that would be C-liner and no they were not.
engines are MUed not double headed .
  by FrankAndCindy

Hello, You Sir are being extremely picky. I wonder if my 35 years of RAILROAD experience surpasses yours. Thank you sir Frank and Cindy
  by DutchRailnut

close my career is wee bit shorter , but I know what a C-Liner is and what a railroad double header is :-)
  by RGlueck

The name "C-Liner" came from FM's catalogue, naming it the "Consolidated Line" of Diesels.ergo "C-Liner". In Spanish, "Si' Liner".

At the San Diego Zoo, "Sea Lions", but that's immaterial. Prime Movers from some of the LIRR FM units saw secondary lives in ship applications, some in Viet Nam. Viet Nam was once a French colony, so they could be "Oui Liners" as well.

I hope this hasn't been helpful.
  by Head-end View

I read somewhere that the C-Liners could not run MUed. One could tow another but they could not be used to double the power to a train.
  by nyandw

Head-end View wrote:I read somewhere that the C-Liners could not run MUed. One could tow another but they could not be used to double the power to a train.
I've never a photo of two or more pulling a consist MUed. Double headed (each operated individually by its Steam engine crew) would not apply in this case.

Here's a teaser: Image
At Richmond Hill yard.. NOT on the ROW. :-)
  by newkirk

Sorry for going off topic a bit, but are there any Fairbanks-Morse "C" liners in existence anywhere ?
  by DutchRailnut

2 in Canada.
  by 452 Card

lirr2008_FM-CPA20-5_Train-in-reverse_Jamaica-06-24-55_Faxon-Keller.jpg
See?--No MU hoses on the B end-- Liner!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by scopelliti

Was just about to post that photo. Yeah,no MU hoses. Also, note the rear light which I have not seen on any models. I mocked up one on a spare C-Liner shell. Needs some work,but getting there...
rear light 2403 model.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by 452 Card

I just noticed a detail from the pic I posted. There is an ASC pickup bar on the B end of that engine. They must have operated them backwards in ASC territory on a usual basis. There could be no other reason for it to be there. Maybe, with the door window, there was a control stand back there? Also, MTH blew it too, no headlight on the B end and they also included a coach-type bellows. IMO- that pic was taken on the day I was born! LOL
  by RGlueck

I have been told that C-Liners did operate in tandem on Montauk trains, but two crews were required. This was a rare operation.
  by Backshophoss

MU was an extra cost when FM built the C-Liners for LIRR,they normally worked as single units,would need 2 engine crews if 2 C-Liners were on
a train to Montauk.
  by nyandw

Has anyone ever seen photos of two C-Liners in action, a train order Form 19, etc. That would indicate "double heading" (non-MU capability) as the OP asked about.... Two of these lashed together with each under engineer control? What am I missing?