Railroad Forums 

• Seen at Forest Hills Station Behind Platforms

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1449395  by interface76

So while waiting for a westbound train this morning at Forest Hills, I happened to look down at the ground behind the platforms, and noticed these:
IMG_E3916a.jpg
IMG_E3916a.jpg (505.46 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
IMG_E3917a.jpg
IMG_E3917a.jpg (382.76 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
I was trying to figure out what these could have been. Maybe a rear set of stanchions to ground level platforms long ago?

I looked around at any website I could find (Arrts, Trainsarefun, even Google Images), and see if I could come up with the oldest possible photos of the Forest Hills station. I don't seem to be able to find anything earlier than 1965 (which shows an older concrete high-level design). The station's current platforms look like your standard issue 1970's-80's construction, so it looks like there's been at least one renovation.

I can't imagine what else would have been behind the platforms as they are, as all there is back there is a sharp embankment that drops down to the rears of the stores on Austin Street. Anyone able to shed light on this?
 #1449462  by adamj023

The current platforms are in bad shape and will eventually have to be redone at Forest Hills. They put temporary plates on some of the platform. Not sure when they will get around to redoing the platforms.

On that note, LIRR seems slower than ever and the M7’s are showing a lot of noise issues. They seem to be slowing down trains for no reason on approach to Jamaica, and taking forever to open doors and also having delay issues in the system.

I know higher speed switches were part of the announced upgrades for Jamaica however and hopefully this helps in the future.

MTA seems to be taking in more revenue than ever from taxation and yet the system has very little to show for it overall and funds tend to be wasted.
 #1449608  by mkm4

There are some very old photos of the station included here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8095451@N ... 876600297/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These might be helpful
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8095451@N ... 876600297/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1449612  by MADDOG

interface76 wrote:So while waiting for a westbound train this morning at Forest Hills, I happened to look down at the ground behind the platforms, and noticed these:
IMG_E3916a.jpg
IMG_E3917a.jpg
I was trying to figure out what these could have been. Maybe a rear set of stanchions to ground level platforms long ago?

I looked around at any website I could find (Arrts, Trainsarefun, even Google Images), and see if I could come up with the oldest possible photos of the Forest Hills station. I don't seem to be able to find anything earlier than 1965 (which shows an older concrete high-level design). The station's current platforms look like your standard issue 1970's-80's construction, so it looks like there's been at least one renovation.

I can't imagine what else would have been behind the platforms as they are, as all there is back there is a sharp embankment that drops down to the rears of the stores on Austin Street. Anyone able to shed light on this?
If there is such a sharp embankment just beyond what you feel may be stantions, then my best guess is that these may be the tops of buried steel bulkhead sheeting.
Anywhere there are such steep sides in a work zone or near water, you always see these being driven into the ground.
Again, my best guess as this seems to make the most sense, but I could be wrong.
MADDOG
 #1449768  by R36 Combine Coach

The postcard from the above set shows something many of us would never see, as the station's tudor/gothic architecture is now obstructed by Rite Aid. Never knew the elevated station was so ornate.
interface76 wrote:Great find with that Flickr gallery - those postcards look like it may always have been high-level platforms...
It apparently is, as least since 1911.
 #1450093  by interface76

R36, I totally agree with you - it looks like they removed the embankment all the way to the edge of the stairwells to put up what is now the Rite Aid (the "photographer" or "artist" perspective is looking southeast from the corner of Continental and Austin).

It also amazes me how heavily the Corn Bank structure was rebuilt into what is now a Boston Market of all things!
 #1450098  by nyandw

interface76 wrote:R36, I totally agree with you - it looks like they removed the embankment all the way to the edge of the stairwells to put up what is now the Rite Aid (the "photographer" or "artist" perspective is looking southeast from the corner of Continental and Austin). It also amazes me how heavily the Corn Bank structure was rebuilt into what is now a Boston Market of all things!