Railroad Forums 

• US Open Golf (Shinnecock Hills) 2018 Service

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1473863  by CentralValleyRail

Norton wrote:The MTA website now says that information will be posted on or about May 21!
another false statement by the LIRR, they are becoming like NJT.

In other news looks like the platform will be able to accommodate 10 cars vs previous 2, should certainly help.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suf ... 1.18665449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1474578  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The MTA released the full color timetable for the US Open Golf Tournament earlier this week.
This schedule has information about fares and entry regulations to the US Open which the earlier
posted PDF does not include.

Surprisingly regular LIRR zone 14 fares will be in effect for all trains serving Shinnecock Hills
- which was not the case back in June 2004 in which they were substantially higher-examples:
One Way from Zones 1,3,4 and 7 were $20; Zone 9 $15; Zone 10 $10.
Round Trips from Zones 1-3 was $35; Zones 4-7 $30; Zone 9 $20; Zone 10 $15.

The "At-Gate" price (for those boarding trains without tickets) was $25 one way and $40 round trip
then which was a flat penalty charge that was steep especially for intermediate riders. This time it
should be the regular off peak on board penalty charges to and from Zone 14 that will be the fare
for those arriving at the gate without tickets according to the posted fare information.

http://web.mta.info/lirr/timetable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Download and open the US Open Golf 2018 timetable. On a related matter the Belmont Stakes
timetable should be released in the coming days - Saturday June 9 - in the subject of special
LIRR sporting events.

MACTRAXX
 #1474587  by BM6569

Coming from Wading River, I think I'll just drive to the free parking spot. Doesn't make sense to take the train as I would have to drive west to Patchogue if I wanted timely service.
 #1474618  by MACTRAXX

BM: From Wading River it pays to drive to the designated parking area at Gabreski Airport (north
of Westhampton Station) instead of having to drive south and west to Patchogue - which as was
the case for the 2004 Open the first intermediate Montauk Branch station west with extra service.

The new schedule does show when all trains serving Shinnecock Hills will stop - and that some
stations will have limited service options. It pays to study carefully the special schedule to see
if going to a specific station would work out - back in 2004 only Mineola, Hicksville, Babylon and
Patchogue were listed on the special US Open Golf schedule then. There are more service options
this time around since some regular Montauk Branch trains will stop at Shinnecock Hills.

MACTRAXX
 #1474631  by Roadgeek Adam

Here's the question I have, and financials are not my thing, but why do we need to rebuild a temporary station every 8-14 years for the US Open.

For those more education, are there not enough events at the Shinnecock Hills Golf area to sustain its own station on an event-only basis? I'm just wondering if it would be cheaper than having to spend the labour and material costs to rebuild the station for the US Open.
 #1474647  by Backshophoss

The temp station is not secure,out in the open,can be vandalized,cannot not be fenced off from the rail side,and would be considered
an attractive problem for LIRR and local PD's
A permanent station would trigger ADA access requirements like elevators for the OH bridge,TVM's , and parking at the station,
that the golf club will not pay for/take care of.

Since the US open rotates between the 4 courses,Cheaper to put up temp platforms when needed,then store the platform parts at a secure MW vehicle yard.
 #1474832  by CentralValleyRail

MACTRAXX wrote:BM: From Wading River it pays to drive to the designated parking area at Gabreski Airport (north
of Westhampton Station) instead of having to drive south and west to Patchogue - which as was
the case for the 2004 Open the first intermediate Montauk Branch station west with extra service.

The new schedule does show when all trains serving Shinnecock Hills will stop - and that some
stations will have limited service options. It pays to study carefully the special schedule to see
if going to a specific station would work out - back in 2004 only Mineola, Hicksville, Babylon and
Patchogue were listed on the special US Open Golf schedule then. There are more service options
this time around since some regular Montauk Branch trains will stop at Shinnecock Hills.

MACTRAXX
Definitely think it was a BAD move by the LIRR to nix Mineola and Hicksville for Nassau Co. Customers. compared to 2004. Now it's strict to running down the south shore.
 #1474854  by MACTRAXX

RGA: The USGA is paying for all the LIRR services that are being provided for the US Open Golf
Tournament. That does include the construction of the temporary station.

To reinstate the Southampton College station permanently it would likely require a joint effort by
the College and Golf Course adjacent to contribute funds to restoration and then to try and get a
regular ridership base going to make the new station practical.

CVR: Good observation concerning Mineola and Hicksville that I overlooked at first glance of the
posted timetables - if no trains were not going to stop at either one why did they list these two
stations in the schedule? The only reason is to show that trains will not serve either one...

Diesel trains going between Jamaica and Montauk Branch stations Babylon and east have the
option of being routed over the Main Line via the Central Branch or by way of the electrified
Babylon/Montauk Branch - with Babylon the first stop special trains can use either of the two
routes instead of being required to use the ML/CB for the Mineola and Hicksville stops.

MACTRAXX
 #1474886  by Roadgeek Adam

MACTRAXX wrote:RGA: The USGA is paying for all the LIRR services that are being provided for the US Open Golf
Tournament. That does include the construction of the temporary station.

To reinstate the Southampton College station permanently it would likely require a joint effort by
the College and Golf Course adjacent to contribute funds to restoration and then to try and get a
regular ridership base going to make the new station practical.
I'm not even suggesting a regular service. I'm assuming there are people who use Shinnecock Hills/Southampton College for events that could justify an App Trail/Manitou/Breakneck Ridge-esque station for non-Open events. Not even a bridge, just something for there.
 #1474902  by Backshophoss

LIRR nor the golf club want any kind of permanent structure/bus shelter there,ONLY the temp platforms and bridge for the US open,period.
The last of the low platform/trail like stations were on the lower Montauk,and were abandoned ages ago.
All active stations on LIRR are high level platform.
There are no active hiking trails that are part of the national trail "network" on the island.
 #1476188  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

With the beginning of the US Open Golf Tournament at Shinnecock Hills today there will be many changes going into effect on the LIRR for the four day period June 14-15-16-17:

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/a ... ne1415.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AM and PM Peak schedule changes for Thursday and Friday June 14-15, 2018

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Downloadable LIRR Timetables - look for these schedules:
--US Open Golf Tournament Shinnecock Hills June 7-17, 2018 (Montauk Branch)
--Special Event Montauk Branch Timetable June 11-17, 2018
--Additional US Open service June 14-15, 2018 only
--Special Event Timetables June 14-15, 2018: Babylon, Far Rockaway, Hempstead, Long Beach,
Oyster Bay, Port Jefferson, Ronkonkoma and West Hempstead Branches (8 total)

Taking note of reports of traffic problems in the vicinity of the Shinnecock Canal and Shinnecock
Hills area it will be interesting to see how the LIRR handles the added ridership of golf fans going
to the US Open. Back in 2004 almost every available C3 car was in service with minimal spares
(I believe that it was only TWO spare cars total) maxing the LIRR Diesel fleet out to its limits...

MACTRAXX
 #1476222  by Morisot

I thought about going, but, from Hicksville, Westbury, or Mineola one has to go to Jamaica and make a long trip really long! And I didn't want to take a chance by driving to Babylon or one of the stations the train stops at and not being able to park!
 #1476236  by CentralValleyRail

Morisot wrote:I thought about going, but, from Hicksville, Westbury, or Mineola one has to go to Jamaica and make a long trip really long! And I didn't want to take a chance by driving to Babylon or one of the stations the train stops at and not being able to park!
Parking wasn't an issue from what I heard, but 2704 was so full once it hit Sayville that 2608 had to go local from Sayville on and make 2704's stops to pick up the extra (waiting passengers) passengers. Rumor has it that will happen again tomorrow.

I will be on 2608 tomorrow going to the Open so I'll report back. Plan on coming back on 2729 but with 5 PLUS hour rounds going on with the tough play, Mickelson may not be done in time and may have to settle for 2609.

2608 has been departing from 14 and 15 so far this week so I plan on hanging around those tracks at Penn to try and get an advantage on the stampede.

note of interest: 2704 ran with only 5 cars today. 2608 has been running with 2 DM and 8 coaches. The platform holds AT least 10 at Shinnecock so I'm guessing LIRR is really thin on coaches.