Railroad Forums 

• Montauk Wye - Industrial Rd Crossing

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1440392  by Backshophoss

See a pair of crossbucks on the pic,could be another crew member flagging that crossing.
Don't think the tail track is long enough to turn that set sitting on the wye.
 #1440394  by nyandw

Backshophoss wrote:See a pair of crossbucks on the pic,could be another crew member flagging that crossing.
Don't think the tail track is long enough to turn that set sitting on the wye.
Agreed, as it just is for DM30AC motive power to be turned (on the wye) to take the coaches back westbound. Are the cross-bucks sufficient for engine movement, or does the LIRR require additional protection/rules to make the move?
 #1440423  by Cannon Ball

Betcha the consist shown in the photo could indeed make it around the wye thru the tail track! The September 30, 1962 railfan excursion's entire consist made it into the tail with a very few feet to spare, and that was C-Liner 2404 with four heavyweight parlor cars (Tuscarora Club, Commack, Manhasset, Jamaica). It was close - even the crew had doubts going into the move. I was on the back platform of the "Jamaica" during the move, and I well recall the inch-by-inch approach to the bumper to get the lead wheelset of the F-M past the switch points. Ahh, them wuz the days! Thanx to Steve for posting the aerial photo of the site.
 #1440496  by railfan365

Why would a train powered by a DE30ac have to use any of the surviving wyes? I thought that all modern diesel trains were double ended with two engines or a remote cab and push-pull operation. I also thought that all single locomotive trains are required to keep the engine on the Eastern end of the train.
 #1440501  by Backshophoss

That may have been a set left at Montauk for the weekend,the crew might have had orders to layup on that track(yard track 6).
The wye switch was left reversed,the set wound up on the wye instead of yard track 6. :-)
 #1440541  by workextra

The train in the arial photo of the wye is laid up there per manipulation not by employee error.
Montauk yard is full all weekend. They don't deadhead everything back to Jamaica.
The wye is also used to turn rode power should the cabcar fail and is not able to lead.
It's also used in the rare instance they double head a set to bring power out to swap a shopped engine. (Seen this on 602 on occasion)
There's a video on YouTube of a train with elephant style MUed DE's leading west. Which was wyed in Montauk .
The trailing unit was shopped and the east unit was run-around and wyed to lead the train west.

Removing all the turning points wasn't the smartest idea operationally. And the 3 remaining east end Wyes only 1 (Montauk) can turn a short consist.

I don't count the wye at PW cause it's essentially a private consignee now, thus leaving Belmont as the only wye that can't actually turn a full length common lirr consist.
 #1440550  by JamesRR

Can the LIRR diesels and cab cars face the same direction when running? On NJT, I believe the cab car always has to face away from the Front end of the loco due to mu cabling.
 #1440562  by workextra

On LI we can burry the cabcar facing west as we don't turn them and have a DE/DM coupled directly to it with no issue.
Should an issue accrue with the cabcars ATC package, you cut the ATC out in the cabcar as it's not leading anyhow it's not required.
 #1440734  by PhilBob1

don't count the wye at PW cause it's essentially a private consignee now, thus leaving Belmont as the only wye that can't actually turn a full length common lirr consist.

By PW do you mean Port Washington? If so, didn't know there was one there, just the stub end terminal.
 #1441347  by krispy

One leg of PW's wye is gone. However, a new wye is being built in Morris Park. Great pic of the wye Steve, it's amazing to see the difference of growth from then and now, where most of them are standing the brush is now over their heads. They did a good job building the wye, it curves to take advantage of using most of the available real estate. They reclaimed land from the lake back in the day and I've never seen it get wet there, unlike most of the yard (all on a salt marsh) would be on a really high tide. I'll dig around and see if I have something current of the area. West Leg holds 7 units (clear of the crossing), and as mentioned the yard is completely full during the height of the Summer season during the weekend. And yes, it's still used if necessary to turn, albeit much rarely than in the push-pull era.