Railroad Forums 

• LIRR seeks to lease 8-21 MARC coaches (for Montauk Summer)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1435750  by electricron

I don't think their cab controls will be that much different than what LIRR has already, so it shouldn't are that long to train enough crew to operate them. I fully expect they will be placed into service sooner rather than later.
But if I am wrong, having one set around to test and train on is needed this year so they can be placed into service next year! That would be the point of leasing them this year!
 #1435761  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Cheap, and they get more cars in Years 2 & 3. This was never really about the full Summer 2017 season, because MARC needs all its flats on-duty while its Kawasaki bi-levels are being rotated out for midlife overhaul. Hence, the only ones they can part with right this second are the sets that were previously loaned to SEPTA. The payoff to LIRR comes when MARC releases more sets to them next year, and another increase for Year 3.
 #1435762  by DutchRailnut

I know our GRFE at MN use to tell us if it has 26 brake and you can read a Road foreman's notice , your qualified.

His attitude was : first station your careful / Cautious.
Second station you should have feel.
Third station show us balls, we pay you for.
 #1435791  by Amtrak7

I have my doubts. If they do arrive tomorrow, there's mechanical work to be done and tests to be conducted. Unless that was done in MD, which is unlikely given that they'd have to test with an LIRR diesel.
 #1435854  by Silverliner II

Testing of the installed ASC equipment and modified jumpers aside, as far as training crews went, let's just say that there was a very short turnaround time between when SEPTA got their first MARC set and when it went into service... not even a week. And all you need at first is just one crew... then you can spread out from there.
 #1435875  by Silverliner II

They're coming. Amtrak 642 with 5 MARC cars for the LIRR rolling through the Wilmington area a few minutes ago as per a text from a friend.