Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#13197  by Mr Met

If go just east i think past the babloyn yard there is a side street that goes behind the fire house and there are plenty of clear spots to take photos.

1 candystore parking lot.
2 any clear spots in the chain link fence.
3 any clear spots in the brush and garbage

but if you were to go here do not go into the yard with tow trucks in it there in a watch dog!!!!!!!!

#13219  by Paul

I once told my Dad at the start of this mess in the Middle east that I was worried about my son serving over there. He thought I was talking about my oldest (22) but I informed him I was reffering about my youngest (10).

Here is a big diesel engine.

#13250  by DutchRailnut

Paul why do you wast bandwith and topics on stuff that has absolutly nothing to do with LIRR or Railroading ?

#13642  by MBTA Railfan

My advice to all is this

Print that copy of the rules stating that photography is permitted.

Then present it when ever you are approached by law enforcement.

I work in emergency management and I agree some responses are way overkill. No matter what is done NOTHING will stop someone who is willing to die for what they believe in.

Bob

#15267  by JoeLIRR

A train crew on the way home told me that i am not aloud to take pictures ANYWHERE & of ANYTHING relatd to the LIRR. the engineer said"in is a company rule since 911, that ANY indivisual, railfan/not taking pictures of the LIRR is to be immeadiatly reported to the authoritys".

WE MUST ACT NOW!! WE CANT LET THE GOVT,STATE,& TERRORISM, RUIN A GREAT HOBBY.
As they said on the MTA/LIRR web page, that in 170 yrs from now the MTALIRR will look and be very different. Well arent they right! there will be no/very few railfans because of the 9-11 attacks.

but what the assholes dont seem to get across to, is that its really hard (ie. EASY) to get a laptop computer bag packed w/ C-4's on any train NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY.

SORRY, but i dont think you need to take a picture to beable to bring a bag packed w/c4's on to a train. :wink:

#15318  by SeldenJrFireman

If We are supposed to be put in jail every time someone takes pictures, we would all probably be serving multiple life sentences. I thought of a plan that if a lot of railfans picked a station to take pictures at the same time, we may get a message across to the MTA. I think the saying is "Strength in numbers"

#15340  by kro52

Gentlemen,
Welcome to the milenium. You are not serious about stating how your hobby comes before the security of our rail system and nation. Maybe you should dorn a uniform and go fight these terrorists before opening your mouth. This way you could eliminate terrorism and go back to photographing trains. You seem very quick to blame this country, when Osama and company are the one's to blame. It's great to see you are so versed in the use of C-4. I would be real careful about what you say, you never know who is reading this.

#15341  by JoeLIRR

"Strength in numbers". I agree, but there will just be more "Strength in numbers" VIA "RIOT" police. then well all be sharing a cell while in booking lol. something really needs to be done. 9-11 is and has wiped out this hobby. if the law inforcment wount let us preform our hobby then were all up shits creak.
NOTE: for thoes of us trying to get a job on the RR. a criminal affence of "railfanning" will put any job oppeurtunity in jeopordy.

May God Belss America, And the hobby of Railfanning. :D

#15379  by jayrmli

I can't believe how upset people are getting about this topic. Not that much has changed because of 9/11. I've taken pictures of trains before and after 9/11. I was told to leave company property before 9/11 as well if a police officer saw you. I hate to break this to you, but that is his job. Most "serious" photographers are not shooting from the platform, and 90% of the time, it involves some form of trespassing.

I asked a few posts back to name one person you know who was arrested for taking pictures of trains. I haven't seen an answer. All I see are posts of how your rights are being violated. Like it or not, it's the law. It was before 9/11 as well.

Just take your pictures and if you're asked to leave, just do it. Hassling a police officer will only make it worse for you and everyone else in the hobby. In that case, you, not the terrorists are causing the problem.

Jay

#15382  by CLiner2005

Remarks relating to back-packs and C-4 will do more to harm/end railfanning as we have enjoyed it. If similar statements were made during WWII, there would be a pair of FBI agents ringing your doorbell - particularly if those statements were in written form for all to see.

The very same element who is killing our servicemen and women are those who are responsible for the restrictions that are in effect in certrain areas with regard to photographing railroad facilities (for those who remember, the restrictions were much more severe during WWII than they are today - and we survived).

Bottom line, be responsible in pursuing your hobby - as well as anything else you may choose to do. You'll be able to enjoy railfanning more with a carrott, rather than with a stick. :)

#15496  by JoeLIRR

"The best way to hide the potential leathality of a nife is to place it between a fork and a spoon."
that is what i ment when i mentioned about the explosives.
all in all if a terrorist wants success just like they had w/9-11 all they have to do is look normal, they dont need to be carying special equpt.

i say that the security needs to be secretly watching casual things like that.

#15531  by kro52

And you're bitchin about not being allowed to photograph trains......you'd never get near a train if they searched everyone for common items, IE:
"camera's" . You sound like John Kerry "flip flopping"..........

#15672  by JoeLIRR

You do have a point. Im as well as every one elts, will just deal with it. once if we ever weed out the terrorist things may be better. but if its for our security. I guess we can all deal w/it.
My bitching/ or anyone elts bitching wount change it. the bitching will just keep this thrend going...

GOOD LUCK TO ALL..