Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1411378  by nyandw

Publius Plunkett wrote:New uniforms for Engineers? Visible, loose fitting and comfortable. Could use more pockets though. Gender neutral and very well designed. I like it. Do they come in different sizes or just XXXL?
Nice... :-) :wink:
 #1450053  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The LIRR has announced that there will be TWO 2017 Holiday Express trains from both Ronkonkoma and
Babylon this year...
Saturday December 16 leaving Ronkonkoma at 9:35AM and Sunday December 17 leaving Babylon at 9:50AM.

Both trains will be nonstop expresses to Penn Station using holiday decorated bilevel dual mode trains.
Prices: Adult-$35.75 from Ronkonkoma and $33.50 from Babylon which includes a reserved seat charge.
Children 5 to 11 ride for $1 each accompanied by a paying adult.

http://www.mta.info/lirr/getaways/holidayexpress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1451066  by LINYARailfan

Does anybody think maybe not this year but in the future the LIRR will add a Holiday Express Eastbound? Penn to Ronkonkoma in the Saturday afternoon? Penn to Babylon in the Sunday afternoon? If this is possible how would the LIRR coordinate this on the Mainline and the Babylon Branch? Thanks
 #1452921  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:The LIRR has announced that there will be TWO 2017 Holiday Express trains from both Ronkonkoma and
Babylon this year... Saturday December 16 leaving Ronkonkoma at 9:35AM and Sunday December 17 leaving Babylon at 9:50AM.
Around what time would they arrive into NYP?
 #1453228  by LINYARailfan

My anticipation is if all goes according to schedule the one on Saturday should arrive in Penn around 11:05 and the one on Sunday should arrive in Penn around 11:15. If you want to get pictures of them though the earlier you get their the better spot you will have to get a picture of the drumhead and the decorated train. My only question is is the one on Sunday leaving Babylon at 9:50AM; is this Holiday Express train going to go on the Babylon Branch or the Central Branch-Mainline? Hope this helps and Thank you.
 #1453545  by LINYARailfan

The holiday express passed through Mineola at around 10:20. It was a sight to see with fresh snow on the ground. Wish there would be more days like this on the LIRR during this time of the year. Hope this helps.
 #1453580  by Train2009

The Holiday train went by this morning in New Hyde Park at 10:23/10:24 AM with #500, 6 C3 cars and #521 trailing. The Protect train came right behind it at 10:28 AM 5 minutes later with #506, 8 C3 cars and #513 trailing.
 #1453598  by Amtrak7

Both Holiday Expresses are scheduled into NYP 10:46a. The Babylon one is scheduled to Montauk but of course that can change.

I wonder why they changed this year's Ronkonkoma to leave 3 minutes ahead of the regular. As expected, it delayed the regular by almost 10 minutes. Last year with was in the 809x slot at the top of the hour.
 #1453961  by FrankAndCindy

Hello to all and MERRY CHRISTMAS, My daughter Cindy made this trip with her son, SHANE. She reports that the trip went off without a hitch. The train cars were decorated very nice .The christmas characters were wonderful . The trip was one to be proud of. Kudos to the LIRR and Macys. Lets hope they do it again.FRANK NAD CINDY
 #1487181  by LINYARailfan

Is the LIRR going to be operating the Holiday Express this year? I have not seen or heard any announcements regarding a Holiday Express this year on the MTA LIRR webpage.
 #1487192  by CentralValleyRail

LINYARailfan wrote:Is the LIRR going to be operating the Holiday Express this year? I have not seen or heard any announcements regarding a Holiday Express this year on the MTA LIRR webpage.
The fall foliage runs haven't even gone yet and your asking about Christmas???

http://web.mta.info/lirr/getaways/holid ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says coming soon.

Even when ToysRus was in business their holiday mag wasn't out until the last week of Oct...
 #1487193  by MACTRAXX

CentralValleyRail wrote:
LINYARailfan wrote:Is the LIRR going to be operating the Holiday Express this year? I have not seen or heard any announcements regarding a Holiday Express this year on the MTA LIRR webpage.
The fall foliage runs haven't even gone yet and your asking about Christmas???

http://web.mta.info/lirr/getaways/holid ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says coming soon.

Even when ToysRus was in business their holiday mag wasn't out until the last week of Oct...
LINYA: As CVR mentions - check back in November...MACTRAXX