Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1411053  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The LIRR had a 6 car dual mode set for the Holiday Train. I was one of the interested trainspotters at Ronkonkoma...

At the Ticket Office there was a sign with the designated car numbers and the associated holiday decoration for each. Each DM unit had special drumhead signs and decorations and all 6 cars had
their interiors decked out with appropriate holiday decor.

This train was a sellout and the charge was for just the one way ride - a return trip eastbound would be an extra fare.

They had an extra 6 car dual mode set which was a "protect" trainset westbound to Jamaica listed
as a non-stop express behind the Holiday Special. It was placed on the schedule leaving KO at 9:05 am. This extra train was noted on info boards at KO and on the LIRR webpage but was not on any
printed schedules as far as I know. Anyone with a Ronkonkoma-Jamaica ticket or more could have
ridden this extra train since it was not part of the Holiday Special which was completely sold out.

If this Holiday Train turns out to be successful - everything looks that way - the LIRR may look to run
more special trains from other branches in the future for holidays and/or events...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #1411061  by REM3Night

I watched it run through Hicksville. It was windy and COLD on the platform. I headed back to my car and saw another train set pass through - I was told that it was a second section. It looks like it was a great success.
Ray
 #1411066  by Crabman1130

I was waiting for it at Farmingdale. The gates started coming down and before I could get out of the car and on the platform it was going through the station. All I saw were the rear markers.
 #1411080  by MACTRAXX

REM3Night wrote:I watched it run through Hicksville. It was windy and COLD on the platform. I headed back to my car and saw another train set pass through - I was told that it was a second section. It looks like it was a great success.
Ray
Ray: The Holiday Special left Ronkonkoma about 5-7 minutes late westbound. The extra "protect"
6 car dual mode trainset left at about 9:15 am and was operated nonstop to Jamaica listed for a
9:05 departure to terminate at Jamaica. This was only listed on the LIRR website and on station
info boards at KO - this extra train was not on any printed schedule as far as I know.

MACTRAXX
 #1411086  by Amtrak7

MACTRAXX wrote:They had an extra 6 car dual mode set which was a "protect" trainset westbound to Jamaica listed
as a non-stop express behind the Holiday Special. It was placed on the schedule leaving KO at 9:05 am. This extra train was noted on info boards at KO and on the LIRR webpage but was not on any
printed schedules as far as I know. Anyone with a Ronkonkoma-Jamaica ticket or more could have
ridden this extra train since it was not part of the Holiday Special which was completely sold out.
The extra set was off 660 last night, and the other 2 cars were apparently cut off in the night and brought back from KO by MP15 later in the day.

The holiday train itself (8099) was timetabled for a 9:05 departure from the get-go (they just advertised 9am to make sure nobody shows up too late).
The protect set was put in as an extra due out 9:10, though I'm not sure if it made it onto the AVPS. It actually opened its doors and took passengers?
 #1411094  by MACTRAXX

A7: Yes-it DID take passengers...The crew announced "Express Train to Jamaica-Jamaica next; Change there for Penn Station"

Had I been aware of this train in advance I would have rode it - I did not have a ticket in my possession and did not want to pay the on-board penalty fare...
One ride I have NOT been able to take is a C3 train west of Ronkonkoma...Guess I will have to wait for the next track work program which requires trains to
operate via the Central Branch...

MACTRAXX
 #1411102  by nyandw

mwichten wrote:They actually did a good job with the boarding process!
Thanks for the post. Was this the MTA photo release? Location if known? :-)

Santa ready for boarding...
Last edited by nyandw on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1411106  by Amtrak7

MACTRAXX wrote: One ride I have NOT been able to take is a C3 train west of Ronkonkoma...Guess I will have to wait for the next track work program which requires trains to
operate via the Central Branch...

MACTRAXX
October 2017 for Post Avenue
 #1411340  by Publius Plunkett

New uniforms for Engineers? Visible, loose fitting and comfortable. Could use more pockets though. Gender neutral and very well designed. I like it. Do they come in different sizes or just XXXL?