Railroad Forums 

• Westbound LIRR Freight -Where are we?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1406405  by krispy

Now I'm curious - what was that signal on that bridge? A distant signal to Hall's home signal for ML 1? I'm guessing but I could see that it would be necessary back in the day of + 50 frts.
 #1406430  by Bad Luck

This photo is 100% looking eastward at the west end of Hillside yard, with the Montauk branch viaduct out of sight behind the photographer and the 4 tracks of the mainline to the left (north).

#1406439  by Ocala Mike

Yep, my old house (1959-1964) off to the left at 180-01 93rd Avenue. Between Jamaica Ave. and the railroad tracks. I spent my college years (lived at home) being serenaded by the sound of freight cars being humped at Holban Yard all night. Would say our house was about 200 yards N. of the main line.

Also got used to the sounds of E/B diesels winding up for the run down the main towards the Island; got so I could tell them apart by their characteristic sounds. W/B diesels didn't bother me too much as they were "on the drift" already coming into Jamaica.
 #1406536  by BuddR32

Look at all the windows in the warehouse building that is now HSF! I guess they decided we don't need natural light.

The Hillside Station building (shown on map as being built 1911) still stands. It belongs to some kind of industrial outfit, I dont recall if it is cement. fence, etc, but it is still there. You cant get close enough to see it in detail though.