Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1405772  by Head-end View

Nice photo..........But stand by for "slip-slide" operating conditions next month, like always happens this time of the year.
 #1406086  by nyandw

Yes :-)

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/pinelawn/pinelawn.htm
1st Depot Opened: c. 1895-1897 as “Melville” on NW. side of Wellwood Avenue.
Listed on timetables as flag stop. Then as “Pinelawn (Melville)” in timetable of June, 1898.
Listed as “Pinelawn” in timetable of 1899.
2nd Depot Built: 1915, Closed: 1925 and relocated to S.E. side of Wellwood Avenue.
Opened at new location: 1925. Agency closed: 19 ? .
Greatly remodeled: 6/79 and reopened as shelter only.

#1406091  by Head-end View

Heard an engineer call-in about "slip-slide" conditions just yesterday. The season has begun.
 #1406757  by nyandw

Well, since the thread is hi-jacked about Fall foliage LIRR ROW photos, I'll flow with the annual sandite material:
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrmo ... hol%20Cars

Here's the interior of a car:
Image Photo: Mario Craig
Sandite is a sticky, slimy goo stuff. These are a set of cars that were converted with large tanks inside. They're used during the fall/winter. The cars drop the sandite on the railhead and it helps with traction. Alcohol is used on the 3rd rail to prevent freeze ups. A pair of these cars are out in KO, the one above, W85 and a P72. Both haven't been used in awhile. Now there are M1s used in place that have been converted. #2907 and #2909 are alcohol cars. Paul Strubeck
 #1408996  by Ocala Mike

Title of this thread jogged my memory a bit. I seem to recall, going into the "wayback machine," the LIRR used to run "Fall Foliage Tours." I'm talking in the 50's and 50's now, and I believe they were weekend excursions to Planting Fields Arboretum and Bayard Cutting Arboretum. Any recollections of those trips?
 #1409036  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

The picture you posted at Pinelawn is of a weekend train during a track work program in which Ronkonkoma Branch trains serving Wyandanch through
Ronkonkoma run via the Central and Montauk Branches by way of Babylon.

Fall has had a noticeably late start this year for two reasons - primarily warmer weather and the lack of significant rain in any semblance of
regularity. The leaf fall this year is peaking as of now (mid-November) after the peak fall colors which was later then normal.

OM: The LIRR did once offer tours to places such as Bayard Cutting Arboretum. In any case a seasonal walk to view colors and the crisp fall air would be
very enjoyable. Some of the walks and bridges at BCA parallel the Montauk Branch and would be an interesting place to trainspot...

The Sandite trains are no doubt out and about on the various LIRR branches this time of year. The leaf residue affects MU car performance more and
Sandite does help traction - it can be visibly spotted on rails somewhat easily. It is expensive but it works...

MACTRAXX
 #1409153  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

The original picture at the beginning of this topic was taken at Pinelawn - the 2 car platform is behind the photographer and is looking east.

The second picture with your last post is correctly identified as Albertson. Both pictures show good fall colors.

Another factor affecting the season is the moderate drought that has occurred on LI this year.

MACTRAXX
 #1409249  by frankie

I never fully understood how leaves would allow slip and slide until I saw this 3 minute video sponsored by the LIRR on their facebook page.

Frankie

https://www.facebook.com/mtalirr/videos ... 770092315/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;