Railroad Forums 

• Equipment problem in Smithtown Tuesday 4/6 AM

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#10178  by John 61

I heard it on the scanner since I live in Smithtown. Seems the brakes applied just east of the station. They couldn't get a release from the cab car. Many breakers reset. Seems that the engineer did all he could and nothing worked. Finally after about 25 min he went to the east loco and shoved it into the siding and the passengers went on train 613. They were ready to pull 613 up to 611 and shove it into the siding but they finally got a release. This also delayed 604 . He had to stay in Kings Park until #615 passed him. I saw 611 leave Smithtown as equiptment around 8:35am Besides living in Smithtown I work just west of the station right behind the tracks right where the C-420 229 is in the photo next to my name....

#10238  by lirrmike

Is that L2 still there? Oh please, please! I miss them with their bulching of smoke, sparks flying out of the stack. And once when I was watching a pair with an east bound late night freight at the Republic signal and when they got the clear signal, the engineer notched them up and as I was standing right next to the lead engine, I watched the trucks move a few inches forward before the body of the engine started to move! Love 'em ALCOs!!

Mike
 #10764  by PatPend

John 61 wrote:shoved it into the siding
What does "shoved it into the siding" mean?

#10787  by John 61

PatPend,

From what I heard, if they couldn't get the train to move the next westbound was going to couple up to the broken-down train and push it in to the siding ( the northside track in Smithtown station)