Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1533932  by Train2009

Caught 2 sets on 2/14/2020

1. Train #2317 from Farmingdale to NYP with 8 cars

2. Train #2102 from NYP to Ronkonkoma with 12 cars.

Both were seen in Queens Village.
 #1536334  by newkirk

Question: Are the M-9's in service on the weekends on the Ronkonkoma Branch or anywhere else ?
 #1536733  by newkirk

gregorygrice wrote: They are not restricted to weekday service.
Yesterday (Sat. March 14) I saw a train of M-9's at Hicksville at 4:59PM. All doors open, destination sign stated "Penn Station". Must have been a Huntington train.

Earlier in the day, possibly the same train spotted in Farmingdale. Train made a station stop at Farmingdale. I counted 12 cars. Test trains are usually 6 cars.

Now if I can only luck out at catch one into the city. I don't travel weekdays by train.
 #1540315  by Head-end View

It's been a month since we heard anything on this subject. Can anyone update us on the current state of deliveries/testing/# of cars in revenue service? With the major shutdown from the Coronavirus, is anything happening at all, or is the entire program at a standstill until further notice?
 #1540409  by Pensyfan19

gregorygrice wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:12 pm All M9s and M3s are in storage and it looks like Kawasaki has slowed down on orders & warranty work.
I thought so. I've been checking the MyLIRR tracker often and all I've been seeing for the past two months are M7s.
 #1541693  by newkirk

I observed M-9's in service yesterday and today on the Ronkonkoma branch.

Because of sanitizing M-7's ?
 #1541706  by gregorygrice

newkirk wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am I observed M-9's in service yesterday and today on the Ronkonkoma branch.

Because of sanitizing M-7's ?
That was a test train. It appears testing has resumed with the full reopening of Kawasaki.
 #1541708  by Pensyfan19

In that case, how many sets does that make? How many are testing, in service, and is the total amount of M9s on the island?
 #1545063  by MACTRAXX

PF and Everyone: I saw this M9 train with 9018 east going into Ronkonkoma Monday 6/8 - I remember this was a 10 car set. There was another 6 car M9
set that ran west from Ronkonkoma during the AM Peak. Ronkonkoma
Station was a busy place yesterday on the first day of (almost) regular
service with a large LIRR management and MTA Police presence.
MACTRAXX