Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1476039  by PlaneLoverA380

Thanks Fan Railer, and I saw your RS41 video. I caught the RS41 at Mineola yesterday too! Not gonna leave railfanning early anymore :-D But are the test schedules staying the same? Up to KO at 8, leave KO at 4?
 #1476060  by PlaneLoverA380

What do you mean? There will be no more mixed consists? Will the test schedules change? Cause 3:30-5:00 is my optimal railfanning time.
 #1476129  by Backshophoss

There's no such thing as a fixed test schedule,they will see what the results were from this run,then proceed from that point onward.
Road testing will happen again but will not be announced publicly,most likely at night as well.
Just grab shot what you see happening,pray you get word of the next road test in the near future.
 #1476245  by MattAmity90

ConstanceR46 wrote:that's why they'd need an inspection; even without visible damage something might be wrong that would go wrong on the LIRR, making kawasaki look like idiots.
Just to clarify:

The Budd Company built the M1 and M3 cars.
Bombardier built the M7 cars.
Kawasaki has already and will continue to manufacturer the M9 cars.

Also my 700th post!
 #1476965  by Head-end View

News Flash: BuddR32 was just telling us in the Metro-North thread (about the non-existent M-5 cars) that some LIRR M-9 cars that are being bought as part of the ESA Project will be designated as M-9A's because they will be a separate procurement with Federal funding. And as a result they might not be the same exact cars as the M-9's.

It seems that the "A" designation became available for LIRR ESA cars because M-N has decided not to buy any M-9's but to rebuild their M-3 fleet instead.
 #1476975  by andrewjw

M-9A vs M-9 has been about federal funding vs state funding the whole time. If I'm not mistaken, the design is intended to work interchangably (with only shoe and software changes). Find me a citation of the M-9A which indicates it's an MNRR v. LIRR distinction!
 #1476992  by BuddR32

No citation will be found for the M9, and you're right about the funding differentiation, but historically, the A designation was applied to the MNR cars of the procurement. M-1A, M-3A, M-7A are ALL MNR cars
 #1477659  by adamj023

Looks like M9’s are finally being tested on the system and deliveries should be coming in this year.

I find commuter rail to be way more interesting outside the USA but the M9 should last a long time once its put into service.

Outside the USA you have a lot of more unique rail cars and even the high speed trains. USA used to be the most innovative and best in the world with rail when we had the privately owned railroads. The M9 will suffice for commuter rail here and be a nice replacement to the M3 and also add capacity and be used eventually at Grand Central Station.
 #1477661  by Backshophoss

Normally a M(x)A is for MN equipment,the difference is in how the Air Brake system is set up and plumbed for MN specs.
AS MN has said it will not buy M-9s,the next "joint" build will be the C-5/MLV-II bi-level cars,as loco hauled coaches.
Figure on a M-11/M-11A as the next joint EMU build for LIRR/MN.
For the M-9's=Federal funded cars for LIRR, M9A's=State/local funded cars for LIRR