Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1475290  by Backshophoss

There could be hidden damage from the Hump Retarders when that pair went over the hump to the underframe equipment,traction motors,
and the ATC/ACSES gear near the pilots.
Did this happen in Chicago(BRC Clearing Yard Hump) or CSX at Selkirk?? :(
 #1475300  by gregorygrice

BRC. All 8 cars were derailed resulting in truck damage. Trucks need to be replaced and bodies need to be inspected by Kawasaki in Yonkers, which is why it went CHI to Selkirk on it's own special train.
 #1475312  by geico

so who gets to pay for this mess..
The cars are still owned by Kawasaki as the LIRR has not accepted them.

I cant see Kawasaki eating this cost but should be going after the host RR or BRC and the morons who decided to hump cars with a DO NOT HUMP sign on them.
 #1475315  by DutchRailnut

ever notice, these stories emerge with each and every new train delivery ?? a train traveling over hump, if derailing would travel in excess of 200 feet on ground , specially if all 8 cars derailed. By FRA rules a train like that, can not be moved unless all wheels and bearings are replaced . so how would those 8 cars move from Chicago to Yonkers ?????

Definitions
major derailment: Any derailment either occurring at a speed in excess of 10 mph or resulting in the derailed
truck(s) being dragged on the ground for a distance of 200 ft. or more.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1475317  by PlaneLoverA380

adamj023 wrote:The image doesn’t show any evidence of damage to the LIRR train.
There is an image of the derailed set? Surprised no on posted it. Meanwhile, gregorygrice did not post his Fresh Pond video. It's a really good one. One question though, when will they test on the main line? As soon as the new couplers are installed and the DB40s are removed?
 #1475359  by DutchRailnut

repairs or just new fiberglass fronts in new colors and addition of NY diagonal stripping.

no one has answered question how would they get cars from Chicago to Yonkers on condemned wheels and bearings ?
 #1475405  by BuddR32

Dutch, if you're going by 238.17 (movement of defective passenger equipment, it states that the equipment involved in a derailment may not be used in passenger service, and may only be moved for a repair point that can effect the repairs, which would be KRC ( I suppose)

I see no such provision in 215 if they're being moved under freight car rules, or 229 seems to be equally less stringent as well. Probably why, however, they had to be moved in a special train.
 #1475413  by DutchRailnut

no it would be any wheel shop, not all way to yonkers .
 #1475547  by LINYARailfan

I just passed Hilliside Facility and eye witnessed an M9 set coupled to an M7 set. Does this mean that the M7s are compatible with the M9s. Or is this just for testing purposes only?
 #1475551  by DutchRailnut

not compatible electrically, but they can be mechanically coupled to be towed.
 #1475568  by BuddR32

LINYARailfan wrote:I just passed Hilliside Facility and eye witnessed an M9 set coupled to an M7 set. Does this mean that the M7s are compatible with the M9s. Or is this just for testing purposes only?
Supposedy can couple, get brake release and draw power, as thats a simple p-wire signal. NO network dependent functions will work. They did it this way for yard and rescue operation.
 #1475609  by BuddR32

Doors is also a simple trainline, but M9 may be different. I'll have to ask the Car Movers at Hillside if they are interoperable at all. I think PA is too dependent on the train-network, which is not compatible