Railroad Forums 

• LIRR President Orders Individual Branch Performance Goals

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1308077  by Commuter X

First issue is that the numbers published are not believable.
I believe they are conjured up, just like the unemployment numbers

To answer everyone's question -- Yes I did call the LIRR customer number and spoke to numerous people
Nobody could tell me how the numbers are computed

Ideally, a monthly list of each trains performance should be posted. If not, a breakdown of peak and off-peak
A total number masks any issues because the majority of trains are off-peak and probably run on time

Commuter X
 #1308128  by Amtrak7

Commuter X wrote:First issue is that the numbers published are not believable.
I believe they are conjured up, just like the unemployment numbers

To answer everyone's question -- Yes I did call the LIRR customer number and spoke to numerous people
Nobody could tell me how the numbers are computed

Ideally, a monthly list of each trains performance should be posted. If not, a breakdown of peak and off-peak
A total number masks any issues because the majority of trains are off-peak and probably run on time

Commuter X
A list of all trains the LIRR marked as "late" is available to the public right here: http://wx3.lirr.org/lirr/LateTrains/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having done very careful computation using this list against the schedule, I can say that the performance numbers are accurate, albeit misleading.

The board books contain numbers for each branch divided up into AM Peak, PM Peak, weekday off peak, and weekend.
 #1308292  by Commuter X

Two points and one question

1. Currently the website has a one week delay and is too clumsy to use. It needs to be at a minimum 1 day behind and be sortable by branch
2. It is conceivable that if you do not live at a terminal station, you can be late, and if the train makes up time later on the route, it can arrive on time

What is the railroads official definition for arrival? My definition is the train has to be on the platform with the doors open for passengers to exit.
My train arrived 6 minutes and 55 seconds late last night (yes, I timed it). It could have passed a marker, or a block one minute earlier and be counted on time, even though it was still in motion
 #1308301  by SwingMan

You have too many variables on a daily basis to expect an on time arrival at all stations. All train schedules across the world have padding, but especially on the LIRR the way equipment is manipulated, having to be at the control of Amtrak in the tightest section of the railroad, and having connections on most trains, something that is not hardly seen on most railroads the way the LIRR does with Jamaica.

While yes, the OTP is likely skewed in many aspects, the only way to guarantee a better OTP is to add time to all the schedules on top of the padding that is already there, so pick your poison.
 #1308309  by Commuter X

SwingMan wrote:You have too many variables on a daily basis to expect an on time arrival at all stations. All train schedules across the world have padding, but especially on the LIRR the way equipment is manipulated, having to be at the control of Amtrak in the tightest section of the railroad, and having connections on most trains, something that is not hardly seen on most railroads the way the LIRR does with Jamaica.

While yes, the OTP is likely skewed in many aspects, the only way to guarantee a better OTP is to add time to all the schedules on top of the padding that is already there, so pick your poison.
How would one determine how much additional padding each train needs?
My guess is the current system is one giant gordian knot

More studies and more money down the rabbit hole
 #1308333  by Morisot

Like I said in a post a couple of years ago, I passed a teenager with a toddler as I exited a train in Westbury. The girl paused to call over the railing down to the street. The girl and the toddler held the train while her mother and a couple of other children finished getting out of a cab and carried their luggage up to the WAITING train. I was well on my way walking up Post Avenue before that train left the station.

I've been in a train held up at Mineola waiting for an ambulance to arrive to take a sick passenger off the train.

I guess the "on-time" statistics could LOOK better if the RR padded "contingency" time onto every train. Of course, YOUR regular train ride would take a lot longer EVERY day to do so!
 #1308338  by onorclose7

You gotta love people like Commuter X who split milliseconds. I couldn't live with that much stress in my life. RELAX dude, the stroke that you are going to give yourself is really not worth it. Read a book, listen to some music or just take a nap! You'll get there
 #1308453  by Commuter X

onorclose7 wrote:You gotta love people like Commuter X who split milliseconds. I couldn't live with that much stress in my life. RELAX dude, the stroke that you are going to give yourself is really not worth it. Read a book, listen to some music or just take a nap! You'll get there
Serenity Now ... Serenity Now .... Serenity Now ... Insanity Later

As long as you expect the train to arrive 10 minutes late, you are OK
I am trying to point out the absurdity of posting a on-time percentage for the railroad as a whole, and up until now, it has been acceptable to use this inflated number and pat everyone on the back and say "good job"
 #1308470  by puckhead

hey X, what is your ontime performance in your car? you never hit traffic, get stuck behind a broken car, get slowed up by emergency vehicles? between the people fouling the tracks with cars and garbage, people having medical issues on the trains, and all sorts of other nonsense when you move 300,000 people a day, they do well . if the trains are so bad, get in your car every day in any weather and do it yourself. yeah, i thought so .