Railroad Forums 

• Walking tour of the Garden City-Mitchell Field Secondary!!!!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#8867  by NIMBYkiller

I know it is short notice(again)...but if I can get a few people rounded up, I'd like to do a walking tour of the secondary, possibly also the industrial spur and the mitchell field spur.....

We'd start at Mineola in the morning round 9:30-10 ish....w/e works for everyone.

If sometime during the week next week is better, or next saturday...just say so

If you're in, please respond with what the earliest you can be at Mineola is. Again, if this comming week is better during the weekday, or next saturday, is better for ya, just say so.

#9081  by lirrmike

How about either next Saturday or Sunday, 4/10-4/11?

Mike

#9108  by BEDT16RMLI

that is um easter and that is BL2 weekend lol how about the weekend after?

#9111  by lirrmike

Well I will give myself a big DUH! Sorry. How about the following weekend then?

Mike

#9282  by NIMBYkiller

So next saturday is definately out I guess?

#9506  by Sir Ray

Remember, as I told you last time, the big parking lot behind Cendant (where the track crosses East Gate, and where the ROW heads to what is still a chemical company) is patroled by Security Guards who may hassle you (and sometimes NCPD hangs out back there too).
You can see the chemical company's complex (and I thought I saw the former loading stations, but I didn't tarry so I'm not sure) from Zeckendorf (with a nice bird-eye view since the road is somewhat elevated at this point), just remember there's no sidewalk on Zeck. at this point, so it could be muddy depending on the weather.

#10141  by BEDT16RMLI

so will it be not this saterday but the next?

#10239  by lirrmike

Yes lets pull for Saturday April 17th

#12079  by NIMBYkiller

Sounds good to me. I think the 1st stone train is that day too. I say we all meet at Mineola 1st, watch the stone train go by, then walk the Mineola-CLP, then the secondary....yes?

I think the stone train comes around 9:45 AM, but I'll double check on the details.

#12259  by 9C1LT1

Movement on the Secondary!!!

Two days ago two MP-15's put a train of NS Hoppers and/or Gondolas on the secendary west of Q. Roosevelt Blvd.

So there sitting there now!

Just thought I'd let everyone know.

-Barry

#12266  by JoeLIRR

Just saw the cars. So what day is going to be final to walk the ROW, Are we meeting @ Meniola (where the branch used to branch off to CLP.)

Let me know caus i have to see if I have work that day.

#12303  by NIMBYkiller

Great report Barry! I think those are the hoppers they originally had there before the circus train came in. Old, dented like hell, uncovered, right?

As of now, the walk is on Saturday the 17th. The stone train may actually come eariler than expected, so I'm getting there at 8:30am just to be safe(I still don't expect it before 9:30am).

So, who's in and what time ya think you can be there?