Railroad Forums 

• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1135059  by SlackControl

Any chance this will help reopen the old Deer Park station by 231? One of the key themes of the video was making the LIRR more commuter friendly and giving people more options to leave their cars home. Anyone who lives between the Wyandanch and current Deer Park stations can't really easily walk to either station. I think I remember a while back that the current Deer Park station was made to help car traffic congestion around the old Deer Park station. But, if it was made like Carle Place, with little parking, I think a lot of local residents would walk there.
 #1135159  by lirr42

Crabman1130 wrote:Thanks, but it still doesn't answer the question.

If for some reason funding for phase II doesn't happen will there be any benefit having double track from CI to KO?
If I recall correctly, KO-CI is the longest stretch of single track, and can be quite the bottle neck. The line is pretty much already double tracked from Deer Park to Brentwood, so Phase 2 would only have to do FARM-JS and BRENT-CI after that.

Any additional section of double track would noticeably improve flexibility in service. Apparently LIRR deems KO-CI the most cost effective/nescescary to do now, so let's see how it goes.
 #1135191  by lirr42

Yeah, I heard DIVIDE is going to get fixed up a bit, as well as the Hicksville station itself (but I think the station's a separate/unrelated project). I doubt the LIRR has gone signal shopping yet, but knowing that bunch, they'll probably pick the option that makes the least sense.
 #1135200  by Johnny F

lirr42 wrote:I doubt the LIRR has gone signal shopping yet, but knowing that bunch, they'll probably pick the option that makes the least sense.
They should wait until Memorial Day. Trainland in Lynbrook usually has some good sales.....
 #1135251  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Interesting timing concerning this announcement...

The 25th Anniversary of the inaugural of full Electric service to Ronkonkoma
is Friday January 18,2013...Monday January 18,1988 was that original date...

At about 2:15 of the video the original 1/18/88 schedule is shown along with
Hicksville-Ronkonkoma Electrification booklets explaining the project...

The LIRR has a Double Track Project Information Center at the following locations and times:
Ronkonkoma: Wed 1/16: 12n-8pm; Thu 1/17: 6am-8pm; Fri 1/18: 6am-2pm; Sat 1/19: 10am-2pm...
Farmingdale: Wed 1/23: 10am-8pm; Thu 1/24: 7am-7pm; Fri 1/25: 7am-3pm; Sat 1/26: 10am-2pm...

See: http://www.mta.info/lirr/doubletrack/index.htm for more information on this project...
www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=936

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
 #1135254  by lirr42

The EGE wrote:Wyandanch and Pinelawn are single-platform stations. Will they be getting second platforms are part of the work?
Wyandanch yes, Pinelawn who-knows. I'd imagine a station like Pinelawn will still be around when this is done, but you never know (Pinelawn will likley need 2 platforms to continue existing, as the second track JS-FARM would likely be on the south side of the existing track, where the platform currently lies).

There are also talks of a new Republic Station which would be right by 110, so who knows how that will influence things.
 #1135259  by The EGE

Yeah, the Wikipedia article says that there's been talk of Republic reopening dating back to 1973 - and that claim is even cited. But, if I recall, that video linked above is the first time LIRR's made any recent overture.