Railroad Forums 

• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1484663  by workextra

No loss in loosing the 1987 era Piss box that they built. Same goes for the 1960s era block box at Bethpage.
Those structures were/are a total embarrassment to American architecture.
Wyandanch looks sharp! A modern era commuter station with a little heritage taste.
On the opposite end of the spectirem, Someone dropped the ball not trying to at least salvage the remains of the now likely abandoned fromer Brentwood Depot and relocating it to the existing facility in some way.
I do hope that can be salvaged and restored other than it looking like trash south of the main as it currently does.

A shout out to Mr Hand for his photo journalism of this project. A job well done.

The mainline corridor is likely going to be a game changer for LI down the line. With a younger generation that tends to prefer renting or living in complexes with access to public transportation I do wonder what further development this will bring. Up to and including boundary/neighborhood changes up to and including home owners bought out to rebuild and zone around the stations in Brentwood, CI and the rest of the area around Wyandanch.
That will be the final chapter in the double tracking to Ronkonkoma. The overal community results.
 #1484696  by Trainmaster5

MACTRAXX wrote:
Trainmaster5 wrote:What exactly is the status of the double track project today ? I mistakenly believed that the project was completed and that more service would be provided between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale. That the approximately 3 hour gap westbound on weekday afternoons would be finally eliminated. I don't see any evidence of that in the new schedule. Just this afternoon a westbound train was reported being delayed because of a late eastbound train in single track territory between KO and CI.. WTH.
T5 and Everyone:
The Second Track Project was to be completed along with the new schedules effective September
4 - the day after Labor Day 2018. There is ongoing track work under way this weekend without
any outages that will require bus substitution.

I did take notice to a special Ronkonkoma Branch schedule that has been posted by the MTA that
has this caption instead of an effective date: http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
**UPON COMPLETION OF MAIN LINE 2ND TRACK PROJECT**
This schedule PDF can be found near the bottom of the listed schedule page with this listing:
"Upon Completion of Main Line Second Track Project (date to be announced) the Ronkonkoma
Branch Timetable (below) will take effect. Date To Be Announced."

Posting this timetable with an optional start date TBA likely gives the LIRR an "out" just in case
that more time is needed to fully complete the necessary track work allowing full two track service.
This long stretch of dry weather that central Long Island is currently experiencing (there has been
little if any significant rain for more then a week) is no doubt contributing to get this program to
the finish line - on time if the new schedule takes effect Tuesday September 4th...MACTRAXX
That second schedule is what caught my eye originally .When the 9/4 new schedule listings were posted , in my opinion, the Ronkonkoma field should have been omitted with a notation referencing the information you have clarified . Imagine how many riders, casual or commuters, will click on the 9/4 branch listing and overlook the other schedule located down the page. IDK, maybe listing the schedules one below the other as Ronkonkoma 1 & Ronkonkoma 2 ? After 30 years with NYCT as a M/M and C/R I can guarantee there will be complaints come Tuesday. Carry on.
 #1484781  by Head-end View

Nothing on the news today about the completion of the project so I assume it's not happening just yet. That's just as well as it's better for the project to be built and finished carefully by the crews involved, even if it takes a month longer than hoped. When projects are completed early because of a political agenda, usually corners are cut and work ends up having to be done over again. If anyone's interested, I can cite a glaring example from my former line of work.
 #1484807  by geico

Head-end View wrote:Nothing on the news today about the completion of the project so I assume it's not happening just yet. That's just as well as it's better for the project to be built and finished carefully by the crews involved, even if it takes a month longer than hoped. When projects are completed early because of a political agenda, usually corners are cut and work ends up having to be done over again. If anyone's interested, I can cite a glaring example from my former line of work.
Well the signals union people wanted another year to test the signals before implementing them which IMHO is ridiculous and just cries as wanting to milk the cow.
 #1484808  by geico

Trainmaster5 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
Trainmaster5 wrote:What exactly is the status of the double track project today ? I mistakenly believed that the project was completed and that more service would be provided between Ronkonkoma and Farmingdale. That the approximately 3 hour gap westbound on weekday afternoons would be finally eliminated. I don't see any evidence of that in the new schedule. Just this afternoon a westbound train was reported being delayed because of a late eastbound train in single track territory between KO and CI.. WTH.
T5 and Everyone:
The Second Track Project was to be completed along with the new schedules effective September
4 - the day after Labor Day 2018. There is ongoing track work under way this weekend without

I did take notice to a special Ronkonkoma Branch schedule that has been posted by the MTA that
has this caption instead of an effective date: http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This schedule PDF can be found near the bottom of the listed schedule page with this listing:
"Upon Completion of Main Line Second Track Project (date to be announced) the Ronkonkoma

Posting this timetable with an optional start date TBA likely gives the LIRR an "out" just in case
that more time is needed to fully complete the necessary track work allowing full two track service.
This long stretch of dry weather that central Long Island is currently experiencing (there has been
little if any significant rain for more then a week) is no doubt contributing to get this program to
the finish line - on time if the new schedule takes effect Tuesday September 4th...MACTRAXX
That second schedule is what caught my eye originally .When the 9/4 new schedule listings were posted , in my opinion, the Ronkonkoma field should have been omitted with a notation referencing the information you have clarified . Imagine how many riders, casual or commuters, will click on the 9/4 branch listing and overlook the other schedule located down the page. IDK, maybe listing the schedules one below the other as Ronkonkoma 1 & Ronkonkoma 2 ? After 30 years with NYCT as a M/M and C/R I can guarantee there will be complaints come Tuesday. Carry on.
Whats the diffrence between the 9/4 and the TBD schedule. Look pretty much the same to me with the exception of the 622 going back to 624 and the 527 going back to 529.
 #1484815  by Trainmaster5

geico wrote:
Trainmaster5 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
T5 and Everyone:

Whats the diffrence between the 9/4 and the TBD schedule. Look pretty much the same to me with the exception of the 622 going back to 624 and the 527 going back to 529.
Check out the westbound departures from KO from 4pm to 7pm daily on each schedule. Big difference in the service levels.
 #1484838  by geico

Trainmaster5 wrote:
geico wrote:
Trainmaster5 wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:
T5 and Everyone:

Check out the westbound departures from KO from 4pm to 7pm daily on each schedule. Big difference in the service levels.
OK, 2 extra trains westbound.... how about extending some of those midday departure trains that start at Farmingdale to start at Ronkonkoma or maybe increase service levels eastbound in the mid day (another train between 314 and 355 would help and one between 2 and 3)
 #1484859  by MattAmity90

Interesting departures according to Train Time on MTA's website.

-All trains to and from Ronkonkoma will arrive and depart on Track 1. There is no service on Track 2, and I'm guessing that's because they are replacing the Southern track like they did from Central Islip to OCEAN.

-Both tracks are now in service for stations Central Islip, Brentwood, and Deer Park.

-Only Track 1 is in service at Wyandanch and Pinelawn.

I looked at Edward Hand's photos from yesterday, and DANCH Interlocking is not ready yet since the signals are bagged over.

-At Central Islip, Brentwood, and Deer Park the Westbound trains are utilizing Platform A (Track 1), and Eastbound trains are utilizing Platform B (Track 2). I've been keeping track on the website. It seems that Ronkonkoma still has both tracks now since it showed a train that terminates there arriving on Track 1 and on Track 2. While all Penn Station-bounds arrive on Track 1. Wyandanch, and Pinelawn are still using only Track 1 (some say Track "0"), and both tracks are being used at Farmingdale and Bethpage.

My estimate is that this project will be completed by the end of September in time for Columbus Day. They are just putting up new signs.
Last edited by MattAmity90 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1484896  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The September 4, 2018 Ronkonkoma Branch schedule effective today takes note to these changes
with this text on the cover:

"As the LIRR continues ongoing track work in preparation to the completion of the Double Track
Project the following service improvements will take effect on 9/4:

The 7:37 AM weekday train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma (#2010) will make added stops at
Bethpage and Wyandanch.

The 4:46 PM weekday westbound train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station (#2061) will make two
added stops at Brentwood and Wyandanch. "

This new schedule has a purple cover reading "Revised Branch Timetable" along with "Form 3
TPSS-133" on the rear bottom below the Hunterspoint Avenue schedule.

Noted in this timetable is eastbound train #2008 6:07 AM Penn Station to Farmingdale arriving
at 7:00 AM and westbound train #2061 4:46 PM westbound to Penn Station arriving at 6:10 PM.

There is a full three hour gap westbound from stations Ronkonkoma thru Wyandanch with #2069
scheduled as the next westbound train - 7:45 PM from Ronkonkoma.

Both trains #2063 and #2065 begin at Farmingdale at 6:25 and 7:00 PM respectively. These two
trains will both be extended to Ronkonkoma with the Double Track program completion to finally
close the long westbound weekday afternoon/evening gap between trains.

Another interesting observation is that there is no notes showing which platforms trains are using
(A or B) in Central Islip on both the new weekday and weekend schedules.

This will likely be the last Ronkonkoma Branch Timetable issued before the Second Track Program
completion - it will be interesting to see when the LIRR expects to finish any needed track work
before two track full service begins...MACTRAXX
 #1485001  by Trainmaster5

I noticed that for the next two weekends buses will replace trains between Ronkonkoma and Hicksville. Been riding this branch before it was electrified so I guess two more weekend outages won't be the end of the world. Been looking at the old Brentwood station and I, too, wonder what's going to happen to the building.
 #1485210  by LB

As the LIRR slowly migrates away from control towers, is the plan for Divide to still control the Main Line east of Hicksville once the double track project is complete? Or is the larger plan to wait until the 3rd track project is complete and then make a cutover to Centralized Train Control?