Railroad Forums 

• MTA LIRR Double Track Project - Ronkonkoma to Farmingdale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1459509  by tj48

NTC machine is sitting just west of New Highway crossing. Empty tie cars, the track mobile coupled to 1 loaded tie car sitting just east of New Highway crossing this AM.
 #1459522  by MattAmity90

Probably went back to get more ties (I don't know where they reload), but it sounds like they will lay the remaining few thousand feet today! Hand did not post photos from yesterday because New Highway was closed to traffic.
39092720665_9475bdf56e_z.jpg
28211619079_43e65be417_z.jpg
25120238847_28e856a68e_z.jpg
 #1461584  by Trainmaster5

Was just at Brentwood station parking lot and noticed a work consist east of the switch. It appears that there is a second track laid down next to the existing trackage although it's not connected to the main yet. The new track has the consist of a " Rail King " unit and 3 or 4 hoppers from west to east laid up on It. It was dark so I couldn't see much. Is this part of the weekend outages or is this work being done at different times ? I have seen work being done at west end of the platforms daily at the Brentwood Road crossing. That appeared to be signal cable work. Anyone have more information about the recent work?
 #1461597  by nyandw

MattAmity90 wrote:Update on the project according to Edward Hand's photos:

1.) NTC/TLM has now reached New Highway, and is probably already underway laying down the final 1/2-mile of second track from the West lip of New Highway to a point near FARM.
2.) Over this past weekend during the outage, they cut the running track and installed one of two turnout switches West of Wyandanch, the next one will probably be done on the next outage. New ties were put in place on the new running track with a large gap between the third rails that is connected via jumper cables.
3.) Now that the NTC/TLM has passed Pinelawn, work has resumed on the new South platform. They are laying down the segments on top of the pillars, while the ground is being graded to the West of the North platform. I'm not sure why they are doing that aside from a fence or maybe a second ramp, but the metal handrails have not been put in. The platform is still surrounded by sand-filled jersey barriers with a chain link fence that has MU signs and one platform sign that was taken off the old platform that reads "Pinelawn."

MattAMity90: Where are Ed Hand's material? Thank you.
 #1461606  by MattAmity90

nyandw wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:Update on the project according to Edward Hand's photos:

1.) NTC/TLM has now reached New Highway, and is probably already underway laying down the final 1/2-mile of second track from the West lip of New Highway to a point near FARM.
2.) Over this past weekend during the outage, they cut the running track and installed one of two turnout switches West of Wyandanch, the next one will probably be done on the next outage. New ties were put in place on the new running track with a large gap between the third rails that is connected via jumper cables.
3.) Now that the NTC/TLM has passed Pinelawn, work has resumed on the new South platform. They are laying down the segments on top of the pillars, while the ground is being graded to the West of the North platform. I'm not sure why they are doing that aside from a fence or maybe a second ramp, but the metal handrails have not been put in. The platform is still surrounded by sand-filled jersey barriers with a chain link fence that has MU signs and one platform sign that was taken off the old platform that reads "Pinelawn."

MattAMity90: Where are Ed Hand's material? Thank you.
Flickr. As an update, the platform span at Pinelawn is complete, the grading of the ground from the North platform was for a ramp or staircase, railroad hopper cars are dumping ballast to the South in Brentwood and all along the stretch between Brentwood and Central Islip as well as putting the third rail plastic cover supports in place. The DK switch has been replaced with a new one and isolated until further notice.

This past weekend's outage had the second turnout switch installed in the running track at Wyandanch, but the one on the newly laid second does not line up, but they should align it soon probably in March. Rebar and the new station building are coming along swimmingly at Wyandanch with all the pillars in place and the rebar will probably be the elevator/bridge combo. I've been keeping track of the Hand's photos by putting them on my Facebook under an album titled "Ronkonkoma Double-Track." The recent photos are at the bottom.
 #1461673  by newkirk

To MattAmity90:

On your Pinelawn station photos. Where did you park your car to take those photos ?

There doesn't seem to be any options to me.
 #1461732  by MattAmity90

newkirk wrote:To MattAmity90:

On your Pinelawn station photos. Where did you park your car to take those photos ?

There doesn't seem to be any options to me.
I didn't take those photos, I'm from Long Island but I live in Pennsylvania. Edward Hand takes the photos.
 #1461862  by tj48

Passed over the Carlls Path crossing this morning. A LIRR MOW crew using a Little Giant crane was unloading panel track with wooden ties near the new entrance to the Astro Stone yard.
 #1462109  by MattAmity90

They say that is DK, a switch just past JS Interlocking. The track laid is confusing with the new track zig zagging.
 #1464377  by tj48

Tuesday my travels took me by the Carll's Path crossing and along Long Island Ave. Work crew are beginning to ballast the new ROW in that area. They are using the orange Rail King Trackmobile and what looked like 4 ballast hoppers which are being loaded at the old Pinter Brothers complex by a large front end loader. Dump trucks are bringing the ballast into the complex and the front end loader is filling the cars from over the fence next to the new ROW. Ballast has been dumped on the ROW just past the pedestrian underpass on Long Island Ave.
 #1464396  by MattAmity90

I also looked at Carll's Path, and there is a temporary DK switch in service with a hand thrown lever that has the word DERAIL on a blue paddle. Ballast is being dumped to the West of the Deer Park Avenue overpass.