Railroad Forums 

• LIRR M-1s at Fire School in Old Bethpage

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#7453  by emfinite

I was passing by the Fire School (where firemen train) near Round Swamp Road tonight and discovered 2 M-1 cars towards the back of the facilities. Does anybody know the numbers of these cars and when they were taken OOS (or were they already scrapped)? I know these may have been there for a while (I never pass by there, so I wouldn't know) because I remember a few years ago at the New Highway siding, there was an M-1 car being taken off its trucks and put onto a trailer. I don't know where it went, but I am assuming that had something to do with it. I snapped a picture while I was there to show what I am talking about.

Joe

#7778  by JoeLIRR

Joe,
I dont remember for shure what program it was, but I think it was on the history channel (maby "hands on history"). The program showed a fire fighter training school based in the LI NY area. How ever for a few seconds here and there in the back ground there was a LIRR M-1 train.
I was suprised that the LIRR made the History CH :wink:

#8958  by SeldenJrFireman

They're probably going to use those to practice MCI, Forcable entry, and possibly even fire if it has the right equipment.
 #9117  by Head-end View

That pair of cars has been there for several years now. I don't know the car numbers. They are used to teach fire depts. how to handle train fires and emergencies. I have taken the two-night course that the LIRR gives jointly with the Academy personnel. It's pretty neat. They teach us things like how to force entry by popping the door windows. And how to avoid electrical hazards involving the train's undercarriage, etc. And they fill the cars with fake smoke and we crawl thru them searching for victims while wearing firefighting gear and breathing apparatus. Overall, a very good course, given by some former fire dept. chiefs who are employed by the LIRR as fire marshals.