Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1529941  by Pensyfan19

https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/railEq ... search=VFI

There are a few ex-LIRR C1 and P72 coaches for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar. Does anyone know if they could possibly be bought and brought back to Long Island?
 #1529959  by ConstanceR46

I doubt more P72s will be brought to the island - a few were scrapped a couple years ago and the remainder of this lot are likely doctored far beyond any interpretative purpose, and would be much more suited to operations on a heritage line.

The C1s, while historic, are also dubbed Bitanics for a reason - they're big, and i don't think any of our institutions have the space for one, especially when they'll likely have higher value on a tourist line.

What i'd really be looking closely at, irt to NYC-area preservation, is #821 - which had a long stint on the SIRT and would fill a void, especially if that one guy who wants to set up a SI-Area museum is still looking for stock...
 #1533602  by jhdeasy

Backshophoss wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:04 am The C-1' are still interchange legal, the P72's are not interchange legal(TOO OLD) and way outdated air brake wise.
I know of no former LIRR P72 & P75 class cars that have been rebuilt to achieve Amtrak certification as private cars.

Freight railroads may be willing to move such cars provided they have a current air brake system COT&S and no FRA defects. Roller bearings that require field lubrication (non NFL bearings) would be a problem for some carriers.
 #1534152  by DogBert

Saving an old Alco, or even one of the EMDs laying around would make more sense than another coach. The LI collections feel a bit heavy on coaches and cabooses, without many locomotives.
 #1534247  by Backshophoss

LIRR would require aP-72 type car get a full rebuild along the standards used by Amtrak for Private cars,for any fantrip on their rails. :( :( :(
 #1534954  by DogBert

If any of the LI orgs want one of the FA cabs, or another p72, the ones in Passaic might be available.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 798957002/

Both were stored on the NY&GL for years. The RR went bankrupt, a real estate developer got the land, and two cousins have bought the trains (for the rumored price of 100k for the whole collection), and are prepping to move them (presumably somewhere else in Northern NJ). There's an old GT heavyweight and two ex erie cabooses which I think are spoken for, but I haven't heard anything about the two ex LIRR pieces.

My understanding is the P72 suffers from the same rotted out, big holes in the floor type issues that has claimed so many others.
 #1537938  by Twin Forks NRHS

Hello everyone!
It has been quite a while since we have posed an update from Twin Forks! As a result of winter, work has slowed but has not completely stopped! Even with the COVID-19 setting in, we still have some work getting done though it may not be as much as we had hoped for.

Over the winter, we replaced more windows in our B&M car. We now have natural light getting in! So far we have replaced 8 windows and we are hoping to replace more in the coming months.

Image Image

Also, We have started painting our MP caboose 13388 into Safety Red. We were told that Safety Red is the closest shade of red to the cabooses original color and we are very pleased with how the caboose is starting to look on the outside.

ImageImage

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, all work that has been done recently has been done on an individual basis.

We wish everyone well during these difficult times!
 #1541474  by RGlueck

One comment on the B&M car. Please get that God-awful MTA paint off it, and with make it an LIRR coach in gray, or better still, a B&M coach in original maroon. Other than that, I appreciate your work on stabilizing these pieces of rolling stock. Short handed, it's about all on can do.
 #1541855  by Twin Forks NRHS

RGlueck wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 am One comment on the B&M car. Please get that God-awful MTA paint off it, and with make it an LIRR coach in gray, or better still, a B&M coach in original maroon. Other than that, I appreciate your work on stabilizing these pieces of rolling stock. Short handed, it's about all on can do.
Yes, this year (assuming the world re-opens) we plan on focusing on the B&M coach. We just received a $4,000 grant from the NRHS for metalwork, paint and windows to help restore the car back to it's original minuteman red.
 #1542047  by Pensyfan19

Any update on 39, 35 or the snowplow? What other restoration projects are currently underway?