Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1524618  by LRail

Has anyone asked or answered the basic question as to why they are installing a DEF here? Is there a new customer or is it just for changing ends?
Lee
 #1524628  by MattAmity90

LRail wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:15 pm Has anyone asked or answered the basic question as to why they are installing a DEF here? Is there a new customer or is it just for changing ends?
Lee
I have no idea why they are putting in a Double Ended Freight siding, because I didn't even though this was a project. It is not for changing ends because the siding will not be electrified. Most likely it is going to be used for storage of freight cars, because I don't see any new customers since it will be located to the North to the ROW. It will have electric lock switches, and be similar to PILGRIM. Although I'm repeating what has been stated in previous entries on this subject.
 #1524681  by LRail

Sorry, I meant changing ends for any freight/work trains.
Lee
 #1524793  by MattAmity90

It turns out that this weekend's outage on the Ronkonkoma Branch is NOT because of the new DEF track, it is actually due to rail/tie replacement between the Pond Road grade crossing and the KO Yard (This includes through the station). Track one already has concrete ties laid down, and a new switch will be installed to connect the electrified siding on the North side of the ROW.
 #1525737  by LRail

Will this be used as a freight run around or is there a customer to be switched here?
 #1526001  by DaveBarraza

ExCon90 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:07 pm Technical question: if trains are permitted to clear at an EL, non-interlocked siding, can Rules 251, 261, or 562 be in effect in that territory? And if so, how does the train get authority to leave the siding later?
Timetable Special Instructions cover that. If the lock is controlled - you need to get the operator to unlock it, entering or leaving the main. If the lock is uncontrolled you need permission to enter main track from the operator, that will get you "Authority" and also the operator knows "Condition" - that no moves are authorized or in progress in the direction of the switch. (signal circuits would protect you if the lock is removed wrongly in 261/251-ABS, but it's bad form to remove the lock unless conditions warrant)

LIRR rules 365 and 502 require the crew to get permission to enter from a hand operated switch.

The pros can no doubt clarify my amateur analysis...
 #1531534  by MattAmity90

It's been two months since the last post on the BRENT DEF Siding. Pretty uneventful construction project in my opinion, and you know that I get excited when a construction project gets underway. This made me yawn more than what my medications do to me. As a heads up, I saw Edward's photos and the track is done. Ballast was evenly distributed, switches were connected to the siding, however I don't see any signals. After they put the switches in, they didn't have to take Track 1 out of service anymore. Yep, that's it, it has come and gone, and as a NASCAR fan myself (yes I'm into auto racing) when Jimmie Johnson won a race: BOOM! Confetti.