Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1521819  by nyandw

Any ideas where this was?
Attachments:
Robert Emery with FM H16-44 #1509 7/21/1958 Archive: Brad Phillips
Robert Emery with FM H16-44 #1509 7/21/1958 Archive: Brad Phillips
Robert-Emery_FM-H16-44_7-21-58_BradPhillips.jpg (747.4 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
 #1522092  by krispy

I was thinking Montauk Yard also, but facing North. That could be the old Navy torpedo shop at his back (still exists today but with condos behind it now). If that's the case, the engine is on the Main, 1 yard is at his feet and that switch behind him is a long-gone siding going to the Navy shop. Anyone got a map of the yard post-WW II? It could be facing South and the switch to the wye, but I'd look for the telephone/telegraphy wires that were on that side of the yard then.
 #1522100  by nyandw

krispy wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:37 pm I was thinking Montauk Yard also, but facing North. That could be the old Navy torpedo shop at his back (still exists today but with condos behind it now). If that's the case, the engine is on the Main, 1 yard is at his feet and that switch behind him is a long-gone siding going to the Navy shop. Anyone got a map of the yard post-WW II? It could be facing South and the switch to the wye, but I'd look for the telephone/telegraphy wires that were on that side of the yard then.
Does this help? http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... 2emery.jpg
 #1522159  by SwingMan

I was thinking Quogue as a wildcard, facing west. Photographer standing on the Main and the train in the Passing Siding.
 #1522369  by nyandw

It looks like stacked piles of lumber inside a fence. I think this is just a lumber yard somewhere. And . . although the FM locomotive pulled freights from time to time, this train would be a passenger one because Emery wouldn't be dressed up in uniform if he were in freight service. And, with the shadows, this view is looking NW.