Railroad Forums 

• Shea Yard Test Site- Dual Mode/BiLevel Trainset et al

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1520533  by 452 Card

Since the C1/C3 topic is clouded (and I am part of that), its time to start a "Shea Yard" discussion, I guess.
My involvement was with the Transportation Department, getting the testing done on the trainsets as they arrived. It was an interesting time in my career on the LIRR as we were pretty much separated from the mainstream politics and unnecessary oversight from those who were clueless. It was nice being in a location that was away from HQ in Jamaica.
 #1520559  by newkirk

mirrodie wrote: Do any photos exist of this.?
Is this what we're talking about ?
Attachments:
July 1981
July 1981
July 1981.JPG (896.96 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
Metro North M-3A  April 1983
Metro North M-3A April 1983
April 1983.JPG (861.86 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
 #1520574  by 452 Card

PitFish! Look, they're swimming in there!
Little did we know that on December 11, 1990 we would find out how they got there. 52 inches of water at the trailer site and two out the four cars onsite flooded with brackish water from a Nor'Easter. 3004-3007 ,the first cars delivered from Tokyu Car,were on 4 track next to the trailers and got flooded and were never the same after that, electrically.
The place was always revealing some new weirdness, even after the M3 acceptance testing in 82-83. The ABB people considered the worksite to be a nuisance to them, for whatever reason. The Tokyu Car people even took us to a Mets game after hours. What a hoot!
 #1520603  by 452 Card

At the original location of the 1939 World's Fair railroad exhibit. Overhead runs a walkway that connects Shea Stadium to the Tennis Center.
While poking around the area during some down time, I discovered the remains of "Fair" interlocking's hut. Its just a concrete base with large wiring running out of it which is abandoned.
Somewhere on the net, I found old pics of the area during its heyday in '39. Maybe Arrts Arrchives.
 #1520632  by nyandw

452 Card wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:38 am At the original location of the 1939 World's Fair railroad exhibit. Overhead runs a walkway that connects Shea Stadium to the Tennis Center.
While poking around the area during some down time, I discovered the remains of "Fair" interlocking's hut. Its just a concrete base with large wiring running out of it which is abandoned. Somewhere on the net, I found old pics of the area during its heyday in '39. Maybe Arrts Arrchives.
Maybe here: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrwo ... ldfair.htm
 #1520638  by 452 Card

That was it, Steve! The "Fair" hut is mentioned just where I found it. It appears some later realignment of tracks in the east yard occurred after '39 sometime. The place is built on fill from ashes hauled from NYC and dumped in the meadows there over the years. Its an Environmentalists nightmare, and is always sinking with each new floodover.
 #1526910  by BuddR32

nyandw wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:06 pm 452 Card wrote "...the first cars delivered from Tokyu Car,were on 4 track..."
Folks, is this the location on track #4?

Track 4 Mets Station.jpgShea Car Shop location.jpg
Yes, if I remember right you have Port Wash 1 & 2, then 3 & 4 are where they currently do the Extensive Interior Cleaning of the MUs and then 5&6 are the pit tracks,which have been filled in with dirt. the MofE trailers are on this platform
 #1527200  by nyandw

BuddR32 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:20 am
nyandw wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:06 pm 452 Card wrote "...the first cars delivered from Tokyu Car,were on 4 track..."
Folks, is this the location on track #4?

Track 4 Mets Station.jpgShea Car Shop location.jpg
Yes, if I remember right you have Port Wash 1 & 2, then 3 & 4 are where they currently do the Extensive Interior Cleaning of the MUs and then 5&6 are the pit tracks,which have been filled in with dirt. the MofE trailers are on this platform
Thank you for the clarification!
 #1527705  by krispy

mirrodie wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 pm Do any photos exist of this.? And is Shea yard AKA Corona Yard?
Shea yard lies beneath the walkway to the old World's Fair station plaza to the existing walkway to Citi Field, between the LIRR station and the edge of Flushing Corona Meadows Park. Corona Yard was on the other side of No 1 Pt. Wash, and the switch leading to it may still be seen leading off into the weeds. It curved up along side Flushing Creek, although it looks like the Subway shop has encroached upon it somewhat, and the yard used to be along the creek into an area being torn up. That area was marshland reclaimed with fill/ash and is notorious for flooding, especially during the high tides. What's interesting was that was the start of the long gone Whitestone Branch, and if you poke around in Arrt's Archives, you get your fill of this.

Also interesting is one of the yard tracks at the east end of Shea Yard that was a switching lead had continued many years ago into what was once the Central RR that went from Flushing down to Floral Park and then east. I believe it was abandoned sometime in the early 1900's up to what became the Creedmore line. But you can see where it was once along the curved side of what's the Cubesmart building.