Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1518266  by Head-end View

Is anyone here familiar with the makes and models of all of the horns used on LIRR modern generation electric MU cars? I'm curious to know what horns were used on the M-1's, M-3's, M-7's and M-9's. They all sound different; some better than others. My favorite was the M-3's when they were newer and sounded good. I've always thought the M-7's sounded crappy, even when new, before the muffling devices were installed.
 #1518405  by Head-end View

Thanks guys. That page in the link says that M-3's and M-7's have the same model horns. That's hard to believe since they never sounded alike, even before the M-7's had the muffling devices installed. Is it possible for the same horns to sound different on different model cars?
 #1520129  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:51 pm Thanks guys. That page in the link says that M-3's and M-7's have the same model horns. That's hard to believe since they never sounded alike, even before the M-7's had the muffling devices installed. Is it possible for the same horns to sound different on different model cars?
Absolutely! It all depends on the diameter of the air line feeding the horn, and the type of valve connected. And electric solenoid valve (M3) is going to produce a different sound than a manual metering valve (M7, M9).

The M9s use a Nathan K2H model horn, bells 2 and 3B.
 #1520134  by DutchRailnut

M-3 does not have a solenoid it has Brass Wabco air button

M-7 and M-9 have standard Wabco Horn valve

all 3 can be feathered.
 #1520179  by BuddR32

The button is simply that. A button on the console. It IS an air valve in rudimentary form. The horn valve is a lever operated valve. Pull towards the engineer to sound the horn, like mostly every other locomotive.

Not MU, but if I remember right, the original DE/DM configuration was a button on the console that operated a solenoid valve. It couldnt be feathered, full blast. It was modified to a conventional lever type horn valve (along with relocating/replacing the horns)
 #1520360  by Head-end View

Yeah, I remember that scandal re: the DE/DM horns. Standing at Mineola Station and hearing the full-volume pre-programmed grade-crossing sequence was a real experience. As I recall those changes were made in response to public pressure.
 #1586677  by DaveBarraza

DutchRailnut wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:44 am M-3 does not have a solenoid it has Brass Wabco air button

M-7 and M-9 have standard Wabco Horn valve

all 3 can be feathered.
What about the C-3 cab cars, are they Leslie S...something? ...S3?
 #1586891  by Bad Luck

The C-3 cabs were delivered with the same Leslie RS2M two chimes that the M-3s and M-7s have, which sound(ed) differently from one another for a variety of reasons. The Leslies didn't last long after delivery, and eventually were replaced with the equally unpleasant sounding Nathan K13B two chimes of today.