Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1497379  by wilmette2008

Interesting thing I once saw a trainmaster talking to the ticket agent at Davis Street and the TM said something about how the yellow jackets with reflective tape were not worth a damn in cold weather. Wonder how much supervision/authority Trainmasters have over the agents? Thanks.
 #1497611  by eolesen

I doubt it. A trainmaster is usually over operating crews (engineers & conductors).

I know UP has a separate reporting structure for station agents, with agents at both Olgilvie and the outstations report to ticket office managers at Olgilvie, who eventually rolls up under the superintendent for commuter operations (who also has train operations).

It doesn't make sense for agents to report to a trainmaster because the issues you deal with for agents are entirely different -- there's cash management, ticket accounting, and I suppose some degree of overall responsibility of the station plant itself (platforms, signage, announcement systems).