Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#772771  by Gilbert B Norman

Warren is starting to leave hismark already, and if this is indicative of anything, there is to be a railroad run with PRIDE.

Today, I observed BNSF P124117 making its Clarendon Hills station stop. In consist was Car #757, a car acquired by the CB&Q, the letterboard of this car is now lettered B N S F Railway, the railroad's new name (actually add an LLC to that) effective Feb 12. The METRA signboard remains. Obviously, the equipment, namely the locomotives and later cars, are all property of METRA; therefore it quite unlikely any of such will be re-liveried.

A small step in the big picture of things, but it shows that the guy at the throttle cares about what he bought. This will not be a rerun of the fictional "BlueStar Airlines' from the Oliver Stone movie "Wall Street".

Again the sad disclaimer; author no longer holds a position in the soon to be de-listed BNI.
 #772835  by wigwagfan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:the letterboard of this car is now lettered B N S F Railway, the railroad's new name (actually add an LLC to that) effective Feb 12.
Interesting...when I pull up the last available SEC filings on BNSF's website, the company name is either:

Burlington Northern Santa Fe, LLC,
or,
BNSF Railway Company.
On February 12, 2010, pursuant to the Agreement and Plan of Merger, dated as of November 2, 2009 (the “Merger Agreement”), by and among Burlington
Northern Santa Fe Corporation, a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), Berkshire Hathaway Inc., a Delaware corporation (“Berkshire”), and R
Acquisition Company, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company wholly owned by Berkshire (“Merger Sub”), the Company merged with and into Merger
Sub (the “Merger”), with Merger Sub surviving as a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire. Upon consummation of the Merger, Merger Sub changed its
name to “Burlington Northern Santa Fe, LLC” (“BNSF”).
According to the 2009 8-K (annual report):
Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation (BNSF, Registrant or Company) was incorporated in the State of Delaware on December 16,
1994. On September 22, 1995, the shareholders of Burlington Northern Inc. (BNI) and Santa Fe Pacific Corporation (SFP) became the
shareholders of BNSF pursuant to a business combination of the two companies.

On December 30, 1996, BNI merged with and into SFP. On December 31, 1996, The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company
merged with and into Burlington Northern Railroad Company (BNRR), and BNRR changed its name to The Burlington Northern and Santa
Fe Railway Company. On January 2, 1998, SFP merged with and into The Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway Company. On
January 20, 2005, The Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway Company changed its name to BNSF Railway Company (BNSF Railway).

BNSF is a holding company that conducts no operating activities and owns no significant assets other than through its interests in its
subsidiaries. Through its subsidiaries, BNSF is engaged primarily in the freight rail transportation business. At December 31, 2009, BNSF
and its subsidiaries had approximately 35,000 employees. The rail operations of BNSF Railway Company (BNSF Railway), the principal
operating subsidiary, comprise one of the largest railroad systems in North America.

Berkshire Hathaway Inc., a Delaware corporation (Berkshire), R Acquisition Company, LLC, a Delaware limited liability company and an
indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire (Merger Sub), and the Company have entered into a definitive Agreement and Plan of Merger
(the Merger Agreement) dated as of November 2, 2009.
I guess Berkshire Hathaway owns Burlington Northern Santa Fe LLC as the "holding company", which then owns BNSF Railway Company. Which really shouldn't surprise me, as I work for a different Berkshire Hathaway company and work for two different fourth-level subsidiaries (and I think there's a "hidden" "holding company" in there as well.)
 #779109  by F40CFan

How about a couple of winnebagos painted up in a warbonnet scheme? :-D
 #780239  by Gilbert B Norman

Again as noted earlier Mr. F-40, those locomotives are owned by METRA and leased to the BNSF. Therefore, it would be highly unlikely that METRA would assent to having their equipment liveried in that of a predecessor road. If by some chance they were to assent, the livery would likely be that of the "Q".
 #780300  by Tadman

After riding Amtrak 5 and 6 through the Metra service area, I observed quite a few 700-series bilevels with BNSF-RAILWAY or BURLINGTON lettering above the doors. I wonder who greenlighted this in the shops.
 #780477  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I noticed the Budd-style "BURLINGTON" on car #773 in that posted picture by Robby Gragg - I just wonder if the letterboard was just uncovered or was BURLINGTON actually re-applied?
The thing that would also need to be done is change the helvetica numerals on that car-dating from the 80s or earlier in the 70s - the original numerals were of that Budd type...as well as removing the BNSF and RTA logos...MACTRAXX
 #780539  by F40CFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Again as noted earlier Mr. F-40, those locomotives are owned by METRA and leased to the BNSF. Therefore, it would be highly unlikely that METRA would assent to having their equipment liveried in that of a predecessor road. If by some chance they were to assent, the livery would likely be that of the "Q".
I am aware of their status and linage. I just think it would look pretty sharp, I don't expect it ever to get done.
 #780682  by Tadman

Mactraxx, if you observe closely, such as from a passing train, the lettering is not traditional Burlington Route font. It's close, but no cigar. It appears as if stencils were made in the BNSF shops that closely approximate the font. I think its a fun exercise but I'm waiting to see how long it lasts.
 #786074  by orangeline

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:Three cars were lettered BNSF Railway, and three more were relettered back to Burlington! http://www.flickr.com/photos/24084206@N08/4309926091/
What's the name of that font style? One website calls it the "Zephyr" font, but a check of that shows something completely different. Other sites call it other names (Burlington font, Budd font, etc.)
 #786777  by Tadman

I suggest you PM Otto. He's a graphic designer and runs a side business recreating railroad fonts. I bought the Clinchfield Roman font from him a few years back and it was kind of fun.