Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#638059  by doepack

Metra wrote:Communities also will see fewer trains parked for extended periods of time.
Sorry, but that's wildly optimistic. Both Metra & UP will benefit from the capacity related improvements (i.e., signal upgrades and new crossovers) but it's not going to dictate Proviso's ability to handle all inbound traffic sent there at any given time. The staging areas in Lombard and Wheaton are closest to Proviso, and as such are the first locations used by dispatchers to hold trains out, so there's no reason to expect that to change, even with the new third track running through Geneva.

And in case you haven't guessed, this is being paid for by Metra's share of the stimulus package. Not sure exactly how much they got, but I suspect it was less than they were expecting, unless there's more construction announcements pending for other projects...
 #638521  by MetraBNSF

Various newspaper articles are saying that Metra and the Union Pacific are splitting the $112 million cost of this project. That's about 30% of the $384 million complete New Start project. It appears that the elements seperating this project from the full New Start project is the reconfiguration of the A-2 interlocking and various station and parking improvements.
 #652343  by MetraBNSF

Metra and the Union Pacific posted the details of the construction project including a station by station progress timeline. Some of the station highlights not including the installation of the "Another Train Warning System" include lengthened and/or relocated platforms at select stations and also pedestrian over/underpasses at two stations.

There is no mention of where the new control points would be installed. Back in May 2006 under the UP-W New Start Project thread I mentioned that Glen Ellyn (between Park Blvd and I-355) and Wheaton would be good locations for control points. That'd sufficiently close the 15 mile gap between control points from West Chicago to Elmhurst. BNSF has control points every 4 miles.

Should be interesting to see how work progresses and if there'll be an immediate impact when Stage one is completed, seeing that the most congested portion of the line will be worked on first.

http://www.metraupwest.com/
 #652503  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:Metra and the Union Pacific posted the details of the construction project including a station by station progress timeline. Some of the station highlights not including the installation of the "Another Train Warning System" include lengthened and/or relocated platforms at select stations and also pedestrian over/underpasses at two stations.
This info was published in a special edition of OTBL, which I picked up on my way home yesterday. Among the details for my home station (Wheaton) was the relocation of the platform west of West St. I'm not sure exactly what they mean here, because a platform already exists here, and is used primarily by the shorter off-peak trains; unless it means they're going to lengthen it, and abolish the platform between West St. and Wheaton Ave., which is currently used during rush hours. We'll see...
 #652740  by MetraRy

Why is money being spent on Melrose Pk and Bellwood? I thought they are going to be combined into on stop at 25th street. Its nice that Wheaton is getting an overpass and Lombard an underpass.
 #672473  by doepack

MetraRy wrote:Why is money being spent on Melrose Pk and Bellwood? I thought they are going to be combined into on stop at 25th street
According to this month's newsletter, the new station in Bellwood, which has Metra's blessing and support, is a separate project that's being undertaken and funded by the villages of Bellwood and Melrose Park. As such, it isn't officially part of the UP/W expansion, but it still should have been outlined in the official announcement, if only to recognize the additional contributions, and more importantly, enhance awareness to the affected commuters who may not know...
 #673254  by MetraRy

I understand that the combined station is funded by both Melrose Pk and Bellwood. My reserves are that everything I have read says both Bellwood and Melrose Pk stations will be closed upon the station opening, I am wonder why money is being spent on two soon to close stations. I don't think ridership would jestify having three stations in the area.
 #721883  by metraRI

From another message board... looks like new signals are about to go up on UP-W:
The last couple of weeks have seen cable being buried along the ROW from West Chicago east and the installation of foundations for new signal bridges in two locations and the excavation for a third. The locations are between the current signal bridge and Sunset Ave. west of Winfield, behind the DuPage County Fairgrounds and in downtown Wheaton. I expect this is in preparation for the control point planned for east of Wheaton.
 #722160  by AMTKHawkeye

There has also been a gathering of bulldozers accumulating at Lombard on the north side of the tracks between Main Street and St. Charles Road, many with the Metra logo applied.
 #722164  by MetraBNSF

A few nights ago during the overnight hours I saw UP crews testing the grade crossing equipment between Grace St. and Finley Rd. Also did see the bulldozers, as referenced by AMTKHawkeye.
 #757357  by doepack

A new signal bridge has been erected just west of the Wheaton depot, approx. MP25.25, went up several days ago. The masts have hoods on them, and will probably remain so for awhile, until the new control point comes online. Unsure yet if this is going to be the precise location of the new control point, or if these are going to be advance signals...
 #770828  by doepack

A second signal bridge has gone up a little over a mile west of the Lombard depot, approx. MP=21.25. Crews have been hard at work lately laying cable in both Lombard and Wheaton in preparation for the eventual cutover and activation. Still not sure where the crossovers are going to be placed...
 #774989  by doepack

UP has selected a proposed location for one set of crossovers in Wheaton, which will require the closure of a grade crossing. For more details...
 #775112  by metraRI

doepack wrote:UP has selected a proposed location for one set of crossovers in Wheaton, which will require the closure of a grade crossing. For more details...
Interesting that they won't work around the existing crossing...