Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1264563  by justalurker66

orangeline wrote:Before moving here I lived in NYC metro area and the subways and elevated portions, with few exceptions, were either constructed outright or modified a long time ago to avoid this kind of traffic interference. I can't help but wonder why the companies that built what became the L didn't do the same on their trunk lines and branches!
A good look at the histories of the lines might help. The Chicago "L" lines once had interurbans and freight trains on their tracks and was built by competing yet cooperating companies. By the time the lines came under the CTA umbrella they were basically bankrupt - with not a lot of money for improvements.

The crossovers work ... and have worked for a long time. The flyover will work better.
 #1264845  by orangeline

orangeline wrote:The Chicago "L" lines once had interurbans and freight trains on their tracks and was built by competing yet cooperating companies. By the time the lines came under the CTA umbrella they were basically bankrupt - with not a lot of money for improvements.
I understand that by the time of CTA things had evolved (devolved?) to where a major reconstruction couldn't happen. I also understand why having flyovers entering the Loop couldn't work. I guess I wonder why when the independent companies were first building the elevateds and adjacent properties weren't as developed they didn't install such features to prevent eventual traffic conflicts as the ridership and number of trains grew.

On the flip side, taking the Northside lines as an example, if they could make it work using just crossovers for local, express, Ravenswood, and North Shore trains operating far greater frequencies, why the need now for a flyover?
 #1264858  by justalurker66

orangeline wrote:On the flip side, taking the Northside lines as an example, if they could make it work using just crossovers for local, express, Ravenswood, and North Shore trains operating far greater frequencies, why the need now for a flyover?
It may not be needed ... but now is a good opportunity to look at the option (while the rest of Red-Purple is modernized). If they decide not to change Clark Jct the plan will just sit for another 25-50 years (with the rest of the improvements completed).
 #1270044  by twropr

The May issue of Metra's BILEVEL briefly mentions a project to renew A-5 interlocking. Is there still an operator controlling this interlocking? What will be accomplished by the project and will more than one track at a time be taken out of service during the work periods?

Andy
Jacksonville, FL
 #1270182  by doepack

twropr wrote:The May issue of Metra's BILEVEL briefly mentions a project to renew A-5 interlocking. Is there still an operator controlling this interlocking? What will be accomplished by the project and will more than one track at a time be taken out of service during the work periods?

Andy
Jacksonville, FL

If you haven't done so already, please scroll down a bit in this forum and see topic "A5 project" for more details...
 #1294521  by twropr

Understand that the Englewood Flyover is now in service for midday trains, operating at ?30 MPH while construction continues. Should be fully in service next month.

Andy
 #1311746  by Zanperk

orangeline wrote: I guess I wonder why when the independent companies were first building the elevateds and adjacent properties weren't as developed they didn't install such features to prevent eventual traffic conflicts as the ridership and number of trains grew.
Hustle up investor cash, make the minimum spend to meet the franchise requirements, and pocket the rest.

In addition, there were two or three generations worth of transit planners convinced that a nice, new subway would replace the inadequate elevated structures. It's only been the last thirty years where the Loop wouldn't be torn down and the lines feeding it replaced by subways.
 #1325925  by lstone19

Only slightly commuter related but over the weekend, a major step in the grade separation of the ex-Milwaukee Road Cut-off at Irving Park Road occurred. From B-17 interlocking, Track 1 now goes to the bridge rather than the ground level track. I don't think it's in-service yet as on Track 2, a new switch provides access to ground-level Track 1 at the west end of B-17. Metra was impacted over the weekend with all ops on Track 2 B-17 to B-12 Saturday while on Sunday, all passenger ops were on Track 1 Roselle to B-12 while I saw a freight from Bensenville yard "wrong-railing" on 2 out to Roselle.
 #1328845  by lstone19

And it appears from the state of things (observed from my Metra train home last night) that they are ready to cut Cut-off Track 2 over to the new Irving Park Rd. bridge this weekend.

Now we just need IDOT to do the needed rebuilding of the Irving Park Rd. / York Rd. intersection and we can actually drive under the new bridge (currently closed under the bridge after several trucks ignored low clearance signs and hit it all in the first few hours after the bridge was put in it's final position).
 #1329149  by spRocket

lstone19 wrote:Now we just need IDOT to do the needed rebuilding of the Irving Park Rd. / York Rd. intersection and we can actually drive under the new bridge (currently closed under the bridge after several trucks ignored low clearance signs and hit it all in the first few hours after the bridge was put in it's final position).
Someone should set up a webcam at the bridge, like the infamous Gregson St. bridge in Durham, NC. A crash beam had to be installed to protect the bridge.
 #1334562  by byte

Work is continuing on the Englewood Flyover - it appears provisions are being provided to allow quadruple-tracking in the near future. The piers holding the new viaduct up are being widened to twice their previous width (on the south side of the structure). Unsure if they'll be putting up a new, parallel viaduct at this time but I suppose it's worth noting that the Metra signage previously mounted on the old bridge has yet to be attached to the new one.
 #1334574  by justalurker66

byte wrote:Work is continuing on the Englewood Flyover - it appears provisions are being provided to allow quadruple-tracking in the near future. The piers holding the new viaduct up are being widened to twice their previous width (on the south side of the structure). Unsure if they'll be putting up a new, parallel viaduct at this time but I suppose it's worth noting that the Metra signage previously mounted on the old bridge has yet to be attached to the new one.
The viaduct was announced as a three track structure.
 #1335781  by justalurker66

I took a look this weekend ... the viaducts to the north of the expressway are two tracks on the west bridge, one track on the east bridge (over NS and 63rd St an 61st St). The viaduct immediately south of the expressway is two two track bridges (over Wentworth). I believe the eastern viaduct has not changed