Railfanning Tips

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

JamesT4

Re: Railfanning Tips

Post by JamesT4 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:26 pm

vxla wrote:Is Ogden the best place to catch the NS line on weekends when day-trippers to the Dunes are plentiful?
Yep, I go there when I railfan in Indiana(even on weekdays), I always park in the Gravel lot east of the Ogden Dunes South Shore Station off of US 12 between the South Shore, and the NS tracks.
~JamesT4 (James T.)
Co-Moderator: Chicagoland Commuter & Transit Forum
Train, Bus, and other photos : flickr ::
Railroad Picture Archives

Milwaukee_F40C

Post by Milwaukee_F40C » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 pm

The "All American Railroad Show" will be at Lyons Township High School in LaGrange on Saturday, March 25, 2017. I don't know much about it or how much will be Chicago related, but some people associated with Shore Line, CERA, and modelers of Chicago transit will be there. Fox River Trolley Museum will have a table, so I'm going.
-C h r i s
Member of Fox River Trolley Museum
My Photography

BAR

Post by BAR » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:04 pm

I will have a twelve hour layover between trains in Chicago and am thinking about taking a commuter train out to a station on the BNSF racetrack to watch the action. Which station would be the best? I am thinking about La Grange Road. Are there places to sit at the station there and what about nearby restaurants? My travel partner is also a railfan but can't walk long distances. If you have a suggestion for a better station to spend the day let me know. Thanks very much for any advice/help.

BAR

CHTT1

Post by CHTT1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 pm

laGange Road would be an excellent choice. There are benches on both platforms and a large number of restaurants along LaGrange Road and nearby streets.

BAR

Post by BAR » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:47 am

CHTT1,

Thanks for your help.

BAR

BAR

Post by BAR » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Spent four hours at La Grange Road on Thursday, September 26. Saw six BNSF trains, all four Amtrak trains, and lots of Metra commuter trains. I unexpectedly met a railfan friend from Toronto who was also at La Grange Road to watch the action. What a coincidence!

BAR

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Just out of curiosity, while you were there did there seem to be many pedestrians crossing while the gates were down without looking to see whether another train was coming, or motorists driving around the gates, or other foolish things? (I seem to remember LaGrange Road being a grade crossing, but it's been awhile.)

BAR

Post by BAR » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 pm

La Grange Road is still a grade crossing but I did not observe any pedestrians crossing with downed gates, or motorists driving around them. In fact no foolishness whatever and we found La Grange Road to be a terrific location for train watching. We plan to visit again next time we have a layover in Chi.

BAR

MetraBNSF

Post by MetraBNSF » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:51 am

ExCon90 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:24 pm
Just out of curiosity, while you were there did there seem to be many pedestrians crossing while the gates were down without looking to see whether another train was coming, or motorists driving around the gates, or other foolish things? (I seem to remember LaGrange Road being a grade crossing, but it's been awhile.)
Down the line in Downers Grove several weeks ago cops were at the Main Street grade crossing watching for pedestrians crossing the tracks when the gates are down. It tends to happen there more often than not.

Return to “Chicagoland Commuter & Transit”