Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#264213  by MetraF40C607

Well, considering I am hearing 99 million conflicting reports, I have resolved to they aren't going to run, period. Until someone can provide sufficient proof, like a sighting, then i'll believe it. I know it's sad, but it's the truth. I wanna see em run as much as the next guy, but visual proof over words will make me much more interested.

#264557  by F40CFan

MetraF40C607 wrote:Well, considering I am hearing 99 million conflicting reports, I have resolved to they aren't going to run, period. Until someone can provide sufficient proof, like a sighting, then i'll believe it. I know it's sad, but it's the truth. I wanna see em run as much as the next guy, but visual proof over words will make me much more interested.
I agree 100%. Its just nice to have something to look forward to.

#264645  by MetraF40C607

Kinda like how i'm looking forward to tomorrow and the reports that the F40Cs are supposed to (according to one of the 99 million reports) run on the MILW-W line all day. WE SHALL SEE!

#264677  by AMTK84

To those who agree with F40C Fan and Metra F40C607...I am glad you are taking a sensible attitude about the situation.

In all seriousness, though...Those who are wholehartedly antissipating a run of 611 and 614 on the MD-W tomorrow will be horribly disappointed. I'd love to know where the idea that when they do run in Late July and Late August that they will run on the MD-W for sure came from?

The people who are circulating those roomers likely want to see the F40C's on the MD-W...But it is way too early to know for sure where they will go and exactly when. I can see it as a possabillity that the 2 C's would run on train number 2231 since that is the train used to test other locomotives; but for all I know one could run on a MD-N train and the other one on another MD-N train.

Bottom line: its too early to tell for sure. Everything is up for grabs.

#265514  by F40CFan

On Monday afternoon (07/03/2006), I definately saw one of them in the shop building. I was too far away, and in a moving train, so I couldn't see which one.

#267679  by F40CFan

As of last evening (07/10/2006) they were both back in their spot next to #1 Main.

#272849  by doepack

I'm guessing that Metra decided to retain 611 and 614 because they were in the best shape mechanically. Any truth to that? Does anyone know (or remember) the mechanical condition of the other F40C's that were sold off the property? TIA...

#273439  by F40CFan

doepack wrote:I'm guessing that Metra decided to retain 611 and 614 because they were in the best shape mechanically. Any truth to that? Does anyone know (or remember) the mechanical condition of the other F40C's that were sold off the property? TIA...
610 had a fire, I think it was in the main generator(?). I'm not sure about the others.

#273494  by AMTK84

608 had a cracked engine block, 607 had its turbo replaced before it was sold so I'm not sure what might or might not have been done to 608.

#273626  by byte

They retained the two they still have because they were rehabbed with federal grant money several years ago, and are still within the pre-set "window of time" that the feds mandate on such grants to make sure they get their money's worth. (or at least, they were not clear of that window when the rest of them were retired)
 #285688  by NIRCMAN

The 614 was in the shop for the past couple of days. Why? It was involved in a near fatality a few years back and the litigation team for the man injured wants to re-enact the event. this has already been done three times before. one time using the 614. On Sunday, August 27 it willbe used again to re-enact the event for the man who was injured. It will follow the first scheduled train in (probably 1/2 hour or so behind). It will run to the Mayfair stop and perform the necessary tests. Then presumably back to Fox Lake, or maybe to western ave to tie up again. It is not going back in the line-up this is a one-time only deal. if you miss it you may miss your last chance to see a 600 in action.

#285727  by MikeF

Why would it be run all the way to Fox Lake? Mayfair is only a few miles from Western Avenue.

#285767  by AMTK84

I'm surprised this was posted, my Metra contact ordered that I keep it quiet.

That said...When is it going up from Western Avenue to Fox Lake?

#285852  by Tadman

get some photos, guys! I'm out of the Chi now, so I can't watch.

#286020  by AMTK84

Don't waste your time out tonight. It is the second unit on train 2141. It will go to the test site and return under its own power Sunday to Fox Lake then be dubbleheaded once again.