Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1504229  by Tadman

Agreed. The bigger question is what gets retired, as the language of the article suggests the funding is tied to replacing something dirtier. I've lost track of the fleet status of rebuilds, etc... Are there any straight F40's left unrebuilt? Does that mean the M's get replaced?
 #1504474  by eolesen

Chargers seem like an expensive option for commuter service... I'd bet on EMD's. Maybe more MACH's?
 #1504484  by superstar

You can't get the 710 engine in the older SD70s to get to Tier 4 standards. EMD tried for many years, but were unable to, hence the four stroke 1010 engines in the SD70ACe-T4. The whole advantage of rebuilding locomotives is that they don't have to meet Tier 4 and are therefore cheaper to acquire and operate.

Several commuter agencies have already ordered the Charger--ACE and COASTER in California and MARC in Maryland. I would have to think its Siemens' order to lose unless their assembly line is booked farther out than Metra wants deliveries.
 #1504488  by mtuandrew

superstar: it might be booked pretty far out, with the remaining Cali/Midwest orders, the VIA units, and the Amtrak LD units coming down the line. The Charger in its various forms is gonna outnumber the Genesis before long, and will be approaching F40PH numbers.

I’m still wondering about the purchase price - $14m/8 is only $1.75 million a unit, which sounds like a lot but won’t buy a Charger in such a small order. Will Metra kick in money to buy Chargers, or will these be MP54ACs or Brookville BL36PH-T4s?
 #1504495  by MetraBNSF

Tadman wrote:Agreed. The bigger question is what gets retired, as the language of the article suggests the funding is tied to replacing something dirtier. I've lost track of the fleet status of rebuilds, etc... Are there any straight F40's left unrebuilt? Does that mean the M's get replaced?
I would think that older locomotives assigned to other lines would get retired. Then 8 existing locomotives assigned to BNSF/SWS would get re-assigned elsewhere. Making room for the new locos.
 #1505340  by busfan2847

Leo_Ames wrote:150-173 haven't been rebuilt to F40PH-2's.
173 has been missing since last June and on Saturday I saw it on the UPNW in the new livery. Has it been rebuilt to F40PH-3?