Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1490245  by Backshophoss

The ex AMTK-Ca units seem to sent east on the SW Chief(LA pool) or on the Builder out of Seattle(WSDOT/Cascade Pool).
Units are Dead in tow,behind the road power to Chicago.
 #1490620  by MetraBNSF

Unit 455 was spotted on 11/2/18 on an EB SW Chief in Naperville.
 #1490878  by MACTRAXX

mtuandrew wrote:I like how they repurposed the Amtrak paint job, it’s a nice look.
mtua: That is the Pacific Surfliner color scheme...With the added Metra lettering and small zebra stripe additions on the lower front it looks good.
The only change that I would have made is the color of the Metra lettering - red would have stood out well on the blue background.

The F59s in Cascades service have the dark green and brown color scheme - Metra will likely choose to repaint them when they obtain those units...
I remember seeing these units for the first time on a Fall 2000 train trip I made to the Pacific Northwest and wondered why they were there were
in two different color schemes - it turns out that they were using some units slated for PS service based in Seattle before they were sent south to
Southern California...MACTRAXX
 #1491037  by eolesen

The rush to put them into service without painting tells me that Metra is really, really short on power.

Maybe the Cascades units will get a similar temporary paint or a Jimmy John's wrap.... 99% of riders won't care about the color of the locomotive, and Metra doesn't have the money (or apparently the time) to repaint them...
 #1491214  by busfan2847

Five are to quickly enter in service in the modified Pacific Surfliner livery. The remaining 16 will be repainted into the current Metra livery.

There are three at present 73, 77 and 84 (AMTK 450, 454 & 461) in modified Surfliner livery.

See https://metrarail.com/sites/default/fil ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are also buying 3 more F59PH secondhand which I assume will fill the gap (94-96).
 #1492620  by F40CFan

A test train blew through Wood Dale today at 12:45 with F59PHI 90 leading 2 bi-levels and F59PHI 73 trailing. Didn't have a chance to get my phone out and take a picture.

Also spotted 457 at Western Ave. yesterday.
 #1494422  by MetraBNSF

Additional F59PHI’s in Amtrak livery sit at Western Ave. Cannot see them in the dark while riding in on NCS 120 but appeared to be five of them.
 #1494473  by MetraBNSF

73 and 93 are double headed on the 1:35pm departure out of CUS to Grayslake. 73 is the lead unit, 93 is trailing. Tried to upload a photo but wouldn’t let me.
 #1494791  by MetraBNSF

Christmas Eve: 91 and an unidentified F59PHI were MU’d at Western Avenue yard.
 #1494894  by Tadman

Any word on the state of these? I have had a few times out in Washington where the F59 crapped out due to age and deferred maintenance. I'm curious if Metra has done anything to them to avoid problems. If BNSF gets frustrated out there by a few stalled Cascades, imagine what a crapped out F59 does here at rush hour... bad news. Nobody seems to be addressing this issue.
 #1494912  by MetraBNSF

Tadman wrote:Any word on the state of these? I have had a few times out in Washington where the F59 crapped out due to age and deferred maintenance. I'm curious if Metra has done anything to them to avoid problems. If BNSF gets frustrated out there by a few stalled Cascades, imagine what a crapped out F59 does here at rush hour... bad news. Nobody seems to be addressing this issue.
Doubtful BNSF will get any of the F59PHI’s. They would need cab signals. From all indications, they’ll work only the Milwaukee, HC, and NCS.
 #1494972  by F40CFan

Another test train went westbound through Wood Dale today at 12:45 with two F59PHIs bracketing bi-levels. They came up on me fast and I was unable to get unit numbers.