Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1470209  by MetraBNSF

I kinda wonder how this is news? I’d never know a run is short a car unless I ride that run every day and see the number of cars consistently or a conductor announces “we’re a car short”. That’s actually happened.

However, on BNSF I’ve noticed that some of the Downers Grove express runs have operated a car short.
 #1470237  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Interesting story about Metra dealing with fleet shortages and growing ridership...
Does the stats that Metra posts in their Budget Book show where the problem trains are?

Is there a reasonable short term fix that can help Metra such as purchasing outside equipment?
For example will the Caltrain gallery car fleet be available once that route is electrified and gets
replaced by EMU cars? Are there any more worthwhile former Metra gallery cars still available
similar to the cars that were brought back from MARC?

In the long term would Metra consider the design of a new bilevel car type such as a Bombardier
or Kawasaki car (GO Transit and MBTA types respectively) or will they stay with gallery cars?
For Metra over time it made sense to stay with gallery cars since they all could be compatible.

MACTRAXX
 #1470523  by Tadman

This is why I can't stand when people complain about fare hikes. The fare covers maybe half of the operating costs and none of the capital costs. Where is the money going to come from?
 #1470591  by andrewjw

Tadman wrote:This is why I can't stand when people complain about fare hikes. The fare covers maybe half of the operating costs and none of the capital costs. Where is the money going to come from?
Sales taxes, income taxes, property taxes, road tolls, gas taxes, etc...