Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1441263  by twropr

Last week METRA issued a notice about a switch replacement project that could result in possible train delays. I believe this involves slip switches at CP Roosevelt. With the number of tracks at this interlocking I'm trying imagine how BNSF or Heritage trains could be held up by more than a few minutes by a track being out of service due to the low speeds and proximity of other interlockings. Am I correct that the delays are very minor?
I believe this is the same area where the LAKE SHORE LIMITED derailed a few months ago, so the switches may be due for replacement.
Andy
 #1441274  by justalurker66

A track out of service probably would not be a problem ... but multiple tracks out of service to give room to the workers and equipment and occasional complete shut downs when an old switch is removed and a new switch panel is laid down is disruptive. There are a lot of trains to get through on less tracks.
 #1441421  by doepack

twropr wrote:Last week METRA issued a notice about a switch replacement project that could result in possible train delays. I believe this involves slip switches at CP Roosevelt. With the number of tracks at this interlocking I'm trying imagine how BNSF or Heritage trains could be held up by more than a few minutes by a track being out of service due to the low speeds and proximity of other interlockings. Am I correct that the delays are very minor?
Inbound rush hour trains affected by the switch replacement project are being rerouted to the north leg of the Amtrak wye at CP Union Ave. B, which has a 10mph speed restriction. With track 1 OOS, outbound trains are being sent over to track 2 at CP Roosevelt, and according to the construction schedule, certain trains will incur minor delays due to meeting inbound traffic at Union Ave. B. I imagine this will also affect the deadhead traffic in this window as well, but overall, Metra believes that the delays "could be up to 5 minutes". Fits my definition of a minor delay, but due to the temporary bottleneck the construction will create at Union Ave. combined with heavy traffic in both directions, some trains will indeed suffer more than others.

Heritage and SWS trains should be unaffected, those trains normally use MT 4 and MT 5 in/out of CUS...