Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1349060  by MACTRAXX

c604:

Picture these F59s in the RTA color scheme...I have always liked the locomotives in those colors
and I do agree that the regular METRA color scheme would look good on them...

Everyone:

We can not forget the mention of Metrolink as another F59 operator. That color scheme looks half decent
on this locomotive type - but white is a hard color to keep clean on locomotives...The earlier Metrolink F59
colors look better then the more recent teal based livery in my opinion...

These F59s do look different without the front handrail sheet steel panel - which takes a little getting used
to - and the three part front windshield and bullseye marker light help identify them...

MACTRAXX
 #1349073  by Krusty

What are the lineages of these three units? The text with the photograph (http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4296715) states 526 is formerly GO Transit. Did AMT acquire the units from GO Transit or purchase them directly from GMDD? It also appears AMT has upgraded some F59s to -3s (http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 597&nseq=1). Are the three units Metra is acquiring (526, 530, 532) the only ones made surplus by AMT? Am I correct to assume they were displaced on AMT by the -3s or Bombardier ALP-45DPs?
 #1349074  by Krusty

Thats a shame they are getting the MP36 scheme. With their angular bodies i thought the F40 scheme would look pretty good on them. (Re: Metra F59s?; Post by c604. » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:34 pm)
I like the MP36 paint scheme, but agree that with the angular bodies the F40 paint scheme would probably look better.
The class lights (unfortunately) are being removed at KYD. (Re: Metra F59s? Post by TrainManUPRR » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:07 pm)
It seems odd Altoona moved the bell and primed the body for paint, but Metra will remove the class lights.
 #1349146  by c604.

Sorry to get a bit off topic for a second but I just looked at the picture of the AMT units in the link above, and see TWO K5LA's up there right above the cab! Not to mention the bell right above the windshield. First impression is the poor engineers who have to run those things, I wonder if earplugs and ear muffs together are enough protection for all that ;-) In reality I think its actually a case of one horn being a backup/spare horn incase the other fails so it would probably be only one blown at a time, but still pretty impressive at first glance.

It kind of reminds me of a picture I saw one time of the RTA 142 I believe it was, at Western Avenue, had an odd horn setup of two P5a's or something up there, definitely had 10 bells.
 #1349642  by Tadman

The dual horns are a Montreal thing - they aren't allowed to test horns at suburban yards due to quiet zones, so the second horn is a backup. If the first is fouled by snow, the engineer flips a valve and the air goes to #2. Most AMT cab cars have this as well.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 56&nseq=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1350524  by Krusty

One (526) is at KYD getting painted. Another (532) is scheduled to be delivered to Metra in Blue Island tomorrow. Not sure where the 3rd unit is. (Re: Metra F59s? Post by TrainManUPRR Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:59 pm CDT)
Any status updates on Metra's F59s?
 #1350597  by TrainManUPRR

Krusty wrote:Any status updates on Metra's F59s?
526 [97] is still at KYD. 532 [99] is at 47th. It will be sent to KYD after 97 is done. 530 [98] is still in Altoona.
 #1352220  by AMTK84

The first F59, said to be numbered 97 and previously numbered 526, is at Western Avenue covered with a tarp; it's supposed to run sometime next week.
 #1352265  by Krusty

The first F59, said to be numbered 97 and previously numbered 526, is at Western Avenue covered with a tarp; it's supposed to run sometime next week. by AMTK84, Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:25 pm
Thank you for the update, AMTK84
 #1353084  by byte

Found a photo of the mostly-under-a-tarp #97, taken several days ago: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4313410 Kind of interesting from what can be see; you can basically figure the rest of the paint scheme out.

I'm slightly curious as to whether the engineers will like these engines. Last week I was talking with a buddy of mine who's an Amtrak engineer, and it was noted that the F59PHI variant is a fairly gutless locomotive and not at all desirable to have in the consist.
 #1353216  by Backshophoss

The Amtrak-Ca F59phi fleet,were built to CARB/CaDOT specs,before the TIER emission spec's were created by the Feds,
tend not to play nice with a P-40/42 as leader.
 #1354095  by Tom Tancula

At the last Metra Board meeting, the Chief Mechanical Officer, James Derwinski made a presentation that included a fantastic video of the first F59PH. The meeting can be viewed at this link:

http://metrarr.granicus.com/MediaPlayer ... clip_id=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fast forward to the 1 hour 11 minute mark.

TNT
 #1355153  by Krusty

I like how the paint scheme has been modified from what is on MP36s. It works with the angular body.