Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1348012  by F40CFan

Interesting, you sure can hear the Cat running from the lead coach. Can't the locomotive HVAC run off of the station hotel power? It seems a waste to run the Cat at full speed while plugged into the station.
 #1348022  by TrainManUPRR

Yes, the HVAC in them will work as long as some type of 480V is provided be it from shore power, the locomotive itself, or a trailing locomotive.

The -3S has a very similar panel to the -3C. The -3S has Train HEP On and Off buttons, as well as an Idle/Run switch. We are required by rule to ALWAYS keep the Idle/Run switch on the -3S in "Run" which keeps the HEP inverter active and keeps the HEP cooling system running. To shut down the HEP on the -3S you simply press the "Train HEP Off" button. However doing it that way on the -3C will shut down the HEP but the HEP engine will keep running at full speed.

We're used to doing it the way we do on the boom boxes and the panel on the -3C is nearly identical to the one on the -3S which adds to the confusion. Whoever turned the HEP off the day you had 417 probably just turned the HEP off the same way we're used to doing it on all the -3S's and forgot (or didn't know) to put it in idle or shut it down. As everyone gets familiar with the -3C I'm sure it will start getting put in idle or shut down as it should be.
 #1348110  by F40CFan

TrainManUPRR wrote:Yes, the HVAC in them will work as long as some type of 480V is provided be it from shore power, the locomotive itself, or a trailing locomotive.

The -3S has a very similar panel to the -3C. The -3S has Train HEP On and Off buttons, as well as an Idle/Run switch. We are required by rule to ALWAYS keep the Idle/Run switch on the -3S in "Run" which keeps the HEP inverter active and keeps the HEP cooling system running. To shut down the HEP on the -3S you simply press the "Train HEP Off" button. However doing it that way on the -3C will shut down the HEP but the HEP engine will keep running at full speed.

We're used to doing it the way we do on the boom boxes and the panel on the -3C is nearly identical to the one on the -3S which adds to the confusion. Whoever turned the HEP off the day you had 417 probably just turned the HEP off the same way we're used to doing it on all the -3S's and forgot (or didn't know) to put it in idle or shut it down. As everyone gets familiar with the -3C I'm sure it will start getting put in idle or shut down as it should be.
Thanks for the explanations. I was wondering if the HEP controls were similar.

417 was the protector this morning (9/11/2015).
 #1349531  by F40CFan

Saw 417 on 2716 yesterday (09/20/2015) along with 216. 216 was on the end and seemed to be doing all the work. It didn't sound like 417 was on at all. I think they were on 2220 this morning.
 #1349547  by c604.

It was reported that 417 was the unit that failed at Edgebrook last week, any idea what specifically failed on it?
 #1349597  by TrainManUPRR

You are both correct, 417 failed.

A computer component called the Actuating Control Unit, or ACU failed. The ACU controls the speed of the prime mover. The failure was completely unrelated to the HEP conversion.

In fact, the genset HEP did its job! The stranded passengers had working HEP, there was just no tractive effort to move the train. If an ACU fails on a -3S you lose all tractive effort AND HEP.
 #1349660  by lstone19

Sounds like after Friday's failure (the equipment was to turn to 2235; 2233 was canceled with 2233's equipment used for 2235 making 2233's stops as well), they must have just put 216 in front of it and let it go (2235's conductor told me they finally left CUS about 7:30pm) with 417 just being dragged around until Monday.
Amtrak 8 pushed the failed train into CUS. I saw the "Franken-train" from my train (six Metra coaches, 417, Amtrak P42s, and the Empire Builder cars in that order). I wonder who was running it from where (Metra cab car controlling the P42s? Amtrak engineer running from the P42s while Metra engineer "tail-hosed" from the Metra cab?) and what they did at CUS (whole thing onto 19 with Metra cars pushed through to the south side? Metra cars set on to one track, then Amtrak cut away, backed out, and into 19? It was too long for one track without running through - are Metra MD/NCS crews qualified on the south side of CUS?).