Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1458488  by F40CFan

Not sure if this is quite on topic, but 7664 is at Western Ave. in a modified version of the new Metra locomotive livery. In my opinion it is not very flattering.
IMG_20180123_0815141.jpg
IMG_20180123_0815141.jpg (794.86 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
 #1462818  by F40CFan

7664 has been moved. It was at Western Ave. Wednesday evening, but it was not there this morning. There are quite a few other St. Louis Smooth sided cars in multiple VRE liverys hanging around at Western.
 #1463543  by F40CFan

They keep moving 7664 around. It was by the east end of the shops. I wonder if they are getting it ready for use. I hope they don't put those horrible new seats in it. They also should reconsider the paint job. The stripes look ridiculous and off center in the middle of the car, but actually aren't when seen directly on. How about just platinum mist with the Metra logo over the entrance doors?
 #1473038  by MetraBNSF

Saw cab car 8608 on the MD this morning. Looks like it was rehabbed. I think from the outside one of the features of rehabbed cab cars is black rubber placed around the rear door area. At night the windows have a clear vs green tint.

This might also explain some of the lower numbered 8500 series cab cars that are roaming on BNSF. However, they are not being used on the rear of trains.
 #1473781  by Milwaukee_F40C

MetraBNSF wrote:I think from the outside one of the features of rehabbed cab cars is black rubber placed around the rear door area.
Does this mean a tubular style diaphragm? On the cab end of the car? That would be quite a change. It would help if a Metra train has to be coupled to Amtrak Superliner equipment for some reason.
 #1473875  by MetraBNSF

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:
MetraBNSF wrote:I think from the outside one of the features of rehabbed cab cars is black rubber placed around the rear door area.
Does this mean a tubular style diaphragm? On the cab end of the car? That would be quite a change. It would help if a Metra train has to be coupled to Amtrak Superliner equipment for some reason.
The rehabbed 8400 series cab cars do have those.