Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1316185  by Tadman

I agree up to a point, but the other end of the problem arises, too. If we save too many of something, it's seen as common, and never given high priority. How many orange South Shore Pullmans are rusting away in the weeds, literally across the country? I think I heard there's one or two in Florida. Same with retired DLW commuter cars. You can bet that IRM will never let anything happen to the green Illinois Central suburban set, as I think it's the only pair left. Same with the sole remaining E7 over in Pennsylvania. It went from being the most common passenger diesel to being 1-of-a-kind. There's literally more Alco PA's than E7's, which is ironic considering the E7 outsold the PA 4-to-1.
 #1316289  by Milwaukee_F40C

IRM is obviously getting the Highliners because they are a significant addition to their collection of Chicago cars. Although, I lurked their Yahoo forum and saw that two might be for parts. I kind of hope they end up keeping at least three cars.

There's two for static display in Mendota. I don't think the Boone and Hoosier organizations, and now the one in Texas, are that interested in the historical significance of Highliners. They just wanted some cheap, high capacity cars to carry tourists. And they will be hauled around with a locomotive, even though they're not really good cars for that kind of thing. They have high doors, weird couplers, and small sealed windows. I imagine they might be able to find a way to power up the air conditioners and lights. Still, they will look strange mixed with other equipment, especially if they get pulled with a steam locomotive. The FRA might also consider the Highliners "locomotives" that need certification for use even as coaches, unless some things get stripped off of them or they get some kind of waiver.

The comparison to South Shore or Lackawanna cars is a good one. The Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad has a few of each in a wide range of conditions. At least those would look "better" pulled by a locomotive. Digging around on the internet, I can't tell if they've ever done anything with their Highliners.
 #1316307  by justalurker66

Tadman wrote:How many orange South Shore Pullmans are rusting away in the weeds, literally across the country?
There are around 36 that have not been scrapped yet. 40 if you count the restaurant in Chesterton. Less than half have been scrapped. Of the ones that are running several are not orange.

I do not believe that they are saving too many highliners. They are certainly not saving more than half of the fleet.
 #1316344  by byte

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Although, I lurked their Yahoo forum and saw that two might be for parts.
That Yahoo group is 100% unofficial, and despised by a good majority of regularly active volunteers out at the museum. Yes, IRM is indeed planning on getting two cars to run and two cars for parts. But I wouldn't put much stock in lots of the other "news" that gets posted there.
 #1322107  by Wingnut

I'm happy I had the opportunity to ride some of these classics all over the electric lines. The next time I travel to Chicago they will be gone. A recent Youtube video of the Rock Island district showed a whole line of them waiting to be scrapped. For those being preserved, an historically accurate Highliner would be wonderful but probably not feasible for non-profit rail museums unless someone quite rich and generous donates specifically for that cause.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how many are currently in service?
 #1323564  by MetraSouthWestServiceFan

I do not know the answer to the last question but today I noticed that Metra is now storing about 15 cars just north of the Orland Park 143rd Street Station on the SWS. I couldn't get an exact car count as I was driving at the time but I did notice that although the Metra logos have been painted over or removed, the cars numbers remain.
 #1334502  by lstone19

Martin Baumann wrote:http://forum.chicagobus.org/topic/3600- ... stination/

1645, 1630, 1556 - Retirement Hold for Illinois RR Museum.

1647, 1661, 1552, 1650 - Retirement hold for Texas RR Museum
There are four sitting at Western Ave this morning. I think (only goof a quick look at two of the numbers) that 1630 was one of them.
 #1334528  by byte

lstone19 wrote:

There are four sitting at Western Ave this morning. I think (only goof a quick look at two of the numbers) that 1630 was one of them.
Watch for those on your way home ... originally the intent was to do a one-day move between KYD and IRM. If they're gone by the evening hours, UP probably has them and they may be on the way to the museum, if not already there.
 #1334565  by lstone19

byte wrote:
lstone19 wrote:

Watch for those on your way home ... originally the intent was to do a one-day move between KYD and IRM. If they're gone by the evening hours, UP probably has them and they may be on the way to the museum, if not already there.
Still there. In order, 1534, 1630, 1645, and 1637.
 #1334827  by Tadman

What on earth is Texas Railway Museum going to do with Highliners? No catenary, no commuter trains, no Illinois Central down there. You couldn't even use them for pulling behind Thomas as they have transit couplers and self-contained power with sealed windows. Would get mighty hot.
 #1334833  by byte

Don't quote me on this, but from what I understand the intent is to use them as indoor meeting/classroom space. The idea being that they will be air conditioned, either through the cars' own units or pumped in from an external source.
 #1335994  by lstone19

The four for IRM that were at Western Avenue were in UP's California Ave yard last night and are gone this morning.